Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Re: Your best recent finds
Sep 06, 2003, 14:39
Troubleman Records Sampler
Truly diverse label from who knows where? This is a great comp which swings from trad indie through Post Rock to doomy metally stuff touching electroclashy punk beats and new wavey sounds in between...gotta delve more into this here label, it's the dog's nads!!

L.C.D. Soundsystem
Saw these live a while ago, and they were fabulous, which was a great surprise, as i wasn't that bothered about them, they were just on the concert billing.
Singles Beat Connection and Give It Up are essential if you like that post punk new wave disco sound.

The Rapture ... Just About Anything
Ditto above, more of the same really, but funkily angular and just plain fab. Another bunch i'd ignored cos' of the hype, but they play a mean gig, and rawk in a P-Funk way unlike any band i've seen in a while, well except for LCD of coarse.

The Heads - At Last
Great full on concert rehearsal CD which is full on in a Braindonor meets Loop meets... and flows seamlessly from track to track. Wish they'd play live more, as the last (and only) time i saw em' they blew AMT away, well i thought so. More product please you Bristol beauties!!!

The New SFA album Phantom Power is pretty good and caused me to rediscover those wonderful but sadly long time unplayed SFA Records.

The new Broadcast LP Ha Ha Sound is a wonderfully Autumnal affair (mind you, what of theirs isn't ??)
Lots of clonks, drones and Morricone style guitar along with sublime vocals from a distinctly Sandie Shaw sounding singer. If you like An Electric Storm, you'll probably like this.

Hovercraft - Experiment Below / Akathisia
Two great CD's which often sound like a drone fixated Sonic Youth mixed with a space-rock Bauhaus (if they ever did that : ) Great noises, though probably not one to put on as background music.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Sep 06, 2003, 16:25
A recent find is Meanwhile Back in Communist Russia. Their a kind of indie/electronica/neo-Goth band. Plenty of dark atmospherics with wispy & lispy ethereal female vocals which sometimes verge on the really fucked up. The album gets more and more Electronica based as it goes on and yes they are probabily art students.

I think it will make good listening for those Autumnal evenings.
morfe lux
301 posts

Fela Kuti
Sep 06, 2003, 18:22
I was introduced to Fela Kuti by a fine gent a couple of years back, it's definitely groovesome. 'Expensive Shit' is excellent, I believe the man had a multitude of wives, I can only wonder how the hell he got all the music done?
munninhugin
135 posts

Sep 07, 2003, 15:02
Next week check out Talk Talk : Spirit of Eden.
Don't want you to overload your pleasure circuits
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Fela
Sep 08, 2003, 12:32
If you click on 'search' above and type in Fela Kuti you'll see he has had a fair share of mentions around these parts in the past. I haven't come across an album of his I didn't like actually, thought the 70s stuff sticks out as the best. If you come across any Tony Allen albums get them. He was Fela's ace drum basher and his records are just as good as Fela's own stuff.
alan lake soon
349 posts

Re: Idiot Wind
Sep 08, 2003, 14:49
You mean you haven't heard KING DICE? You must! LL sort him out! Or I will.
alan lake soon
349 posts

Sep 08, 2003, 14:56
I believe you.

I feel a bit of an Idiot, Babe myself recommending Bob Dylan. Hardly un-sung is he? It's a bit like 'discovering' the Beatles or U2.

But I tell you what I like about that period of Bob D...
his band(s) are so looooose. They speed up, slow down in a pre-digital (or is it post-LSD) way. Made me understand again Captain Beefheart's aversion to 'that Goddam 4/4 MommaBeat'
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Sep 08, 2003, 16:15
tut..... made up band names again just to confuse the uninitiated. ;op

Found a nice piece of Poole Pottery in a Bournemouth junk shop the other day... :o)

70's Prog Rock... yawn... where's Amazon she'll agree with me!

Nat xx
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 08, 2003, 17:29
Oi! None of that's 70s prog. All those albums were released this year, missy.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 08, 2003, 17:55
I found a flexidisc featuring a speech by Spiro Agnew. No, I generally hate politicians in general, but I am nostalgic for the 70's I grew up it.

Anyways, I wonder if Lord Lucan knows it's been reported recently that the real Lord Lucan might have survived?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index