Your best recent finds

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Robbie Robin Williams
Sep 05, 2003, 17:10
I've seen the "meat flinging" video . . . but the tuyne left no impression.

I remember "Millenium" too, probably his biggest hit over here. I remember thinking "what shit! That's just a Nancy Sinatra tune with different lyrics!"
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Hmm
Sep 05, 2003, 17:13
And no need to say "sorry"! This is interesting stuff . . . we're having a discussion not an argument, right?

;-)
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Robbie Robin Williams
Sep 05, 2003, 17:35
You'll find yourself saying that phrase to yourself (with whoever he's ripping off substituted for Nancy Sinatra) more if you're unfortunate enough to hear any more of his shite, but you'll start adding the words "...but really watered down and with crappy lyrics and vocals and a moaning, insincere toddler fronting it"
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Shit!
Sep 05, 2003, 17:37
This was supposed to be a positive thread and now I'm getting all riled up about that... that... arsehole. GRRRRR!!!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

That 80's Thang
Sep 05, 2003, 17:42
Here's a quickly pulled list of the kind of "scene" I was referring to when I said the 80's was secretly a renaissance of rock (at least in the USA):

Bad Brains, Big Black, Black Flag, Butthole Surfers, Camper Van Beethoven, Chrome, Cows, Die Kreuzen, Dinosuar jr, Ed Hall, Eleventh Dream Day, Feelies, fIREHOSE, Fishbone, Flaming Lips, Flipper, Foetus, Fugazi, Green River, Grifters, Husker Du, Jesus Lizard, Killdozer, Meat Puppets, Melvins, Minor Threat, Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Mudhoney, Pavement, Pixies, Plan 9, Rapeman, Redd Kross, Replacements, Rites of Spring, Royal Trux, Sacharine Trust, Sebadoh, Smithereens, Sonic Youth, Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, Superchunk, TAD, Tar Babies, Urge Overkill, Violent Femmes, Volcano Suns, Wipers, Wreck, X

A few of those groups eventually found some mainstream success, many never made it out of the indie label ghetto, and for the most part those that did get major label deals wound up regretting it later.

And I did find a couple UK bands that were sort of honorary members of this scene (at least much listened to & loved by everyone): My Bloody Valentine & the Wedding Present

Honorary Asian scenesters: Shonen Knife
morfe lux
301 posts

Re: Your best recent finds
Sep 05, 2003, 18:19
Led Zeppelin

Again!
johan
165 posts

Sep 05, 2003, 19:14
there's a better version of idiot wind, and possibly even tangled up in blue on the 3-CD Bootleg 1-3, er, CD. The version there is so much better, believe me!

johan
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

cunting
Sep 05, 2003, 19:23
nice use of the word 'cunting'... is it a verb or an adjective
espsummer
340 posts

Sep 06, 2003, 04:28
Edwin Moses: love turns you upside down
spanish band on the "siesta" label who think this is 1972 and love curtis mayfield and shaft. Extremely catchey pop music but if you have broken up with a woman you will be sad as well.

Fela Kuti: zombie
great minimal funk and "afro-beat" as its called from the early 70s. I'm surprised its not talked about on this list as it parallels the likes of can and krautrock, but in my opinion stands far ahead. Amazing rhythms.

80s bands i never listened to but love this week:
blue nile: hats
prefab sprout: two wheels good
talk talk: its my life

i listened to all of these for the first time this week. too much good in one week!
Beebon
1375 posts

Sep 06, 2003, 11:41
Hmmm for me it's been:-

Coil. Just in general really. Up until a few months ago all i owned was Love's Secret Domain, which i liked a lot. Then i got sent Music to Play in the Dark Vols 1&2, Queens of the Circulating Library, TimeMachines (or whatever its proper title is), Worship the Glitch and Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil. All of them have different effects on me and i've had a lot of fun checking them out.

Vibracathedral Orchestra - Dabbling With Gravity and Who You Are: Well, i heard it a while ago but not really got into it until recently, REALLY good stuff!

Probably more i will think of later :)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index