Your best recent finds

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Your best recent finds
Sep 04, 2003, 15:38
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

No disrespect to the Streets - I liked "Original Pirate Material" a lot - but in all honesty, this, along with More Fire Crew's album, sounds more organic and less tailormade to appeal to the white college-boy dilletantes that seem to comprise about half of the Streets' audience. Although some of the soundscapes here are deceptively pleasant-souinding on first listen, a palpable undercurrent of paranoia runs throughout almost every track. No prizes for guessing he probably smokes way too much weed.

Yoshimi & Yuka - Flower With No Colour

Ambient offshoot project featuring Boredoms drummer Yoshimi, which sounds like the comedown after the insane, headrushing trip that is "Vision Creation Newsun". Not quite sure where this fits in genre-wise, but it's a testament to it's quality that I find myself not caring either. Can function as a very atmospheric chill-out soundtrack if played very quietly late at night, but the weird chittering insect noises and environmental sounds that flow throughout almost every track make it sound slightly too unsettling to fall asleep to if played at a higher volume. Quite wonderful nonetheless.

Various Artists - Yes New York

Compilation of the current cream of NYC indie bands which is mostly fairly traditional and familiar-sounding (at least to anyone who's old enough to remember the Brit post-punk scene), but pleasingly energetic and high on songwriting prowess nonetheless. Best tracks - to my ears - are by Interpol, Radio 4 and The Rapture, whilst the track by the best known band on here, The Strokes, I have so far found to be nothing particularly special. Worth buying anyhows.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Sep 04, 2003, 15:39
You could spend it on a small box of washing powder and have clean socks in abundance.

Why do you keep pound coins in your socks?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Sep 04, 2003, 15:41
Van Halen, The White Stripes and Robbie Williams.

Ooops!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 04, 2003, 16:24
1. Three Man Army "Third Of A Lifetime" (1971) -- pretty good proto-metal from the Gurvitz brothers with special guest Buddy Miles. Not as good as Sir Lord B., but better than Suck and lots of others in this genre.

2. Organisation "Tone Float" (1970) -- see record review section.

3. Jade Warrior - the band in general 1970-1974 (was lent the first 4 albums and copied my favorite tracks) -- like a more stripped down Jethro Tull minus the prog-metal overkill. The two main guys (Tony Duhig & John Fields) used to be in the band July. Thanks to whoever wrote the July review cuz that's what led me to Jade Warrior . . . .

OK so I don't make a point of following the latest trends . . . . ;-)
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 04, 2003, 16:44
Isn't that the bridge the IRA almost blew up a few years ago as well?

Must say I'm mightily chuffed that you're still grooving... well, melting to the King Dice CD. Nice one. Fair made me blush ya did.
And I'm sure you'll like the NWW album, though don't you think recommending something that's still on its way to you in the post is a tad premature? ;-)
a23
a23
1004 posts

Sep 04, 2003, 17:14
and an entertaining outfit to see live
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Sep 04, 2003, 17:39
Globo - This Time It's Globo,
a progressive house thing from a coupla years ago, rather marvellous......

but not this......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3080100.stm
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 04, 2003, 20:11
Most recently gotta be Prince - The Rainbow Children.
Just a totally awesome listening experience for those like me that had more or less given up in the horny homunculous. A huge jazz influence permeats this album; the guitar playing is up there with his best years and best of all: he's combined his Jazz mojo with his knack for melodic hooks, something I though he'd kinda lost during all the
O(+> stuff. It's such a buzz to see such a major talent blossoming again. Could be a blip.....but what a blip!

Also the entire World Series CD's that have been covermounts on DJ magazine over the last few months have really made me prick up my ears anew as regards certain areas of dance/electronica. A total trip in all senses of the word.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Sep 05, 2003, 00:59
To each their own and all that but:

in the case of Robbie Cunting Williams

I sincerely hope that's ironic...

(and that's from the owner of albums by Chris de Burgh and Shakin' Stevens and the Sunsets)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Sep 05, 2003, 01:01
I don't listen to anything recorded after 1975, the year when rock died, never to be revived.

(Only partly joking...!)

:-)
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index