Shack

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Shack
Jul 23, 2011, 14:16
Jasonaparkes wrote:

Shack, like the High Llamas, are a band who do seem quite retro, but do it so well in a way that Oasis pilfering riffs etc don't.

Indeed. Arthur Lee was moved to say he thought that they played his back catalogue better than the original line up of Love did.
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 23, 2011, 14:21
I saw Shack once in the early 90's. Little had been heard of them for a while and there weren't many there. I shouted a request - High Rise Low Life, which I loved.

They didn't play it. Indeed I don't think they played anything I knew and all I got was a withering look. In fact, I might as well have shouted Brown Girl In The Ring or something for the look I got!
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Jan 30, 2012, 15:47
Anything new in the works ?
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jan 31, 2012, 11:16
There was supposed to be a new Mick Head solo album last year (as Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band). Unfortunately this never appeared and probably not likely to in the near future. Given that The Magical World Of The Strands was recorded circa 1992/3 and only surfaced in 1998, this is pretty much business as usual. John Head also had a solo album mooted to be released on Domino last year but looks like the deal fell through somewhere.
John has been quite busy with gigs over the last 12 months and Mick very sporadic on the live front culminating with a very unfortunate performance just before Christmas at an Addiction Awareness charity gig in Liverpool where, ironically, Mick had to be removed from the stage and admitted to hospital due to his 'otherworldy' state - despite members of Shack getting up to give him a bit of support. Mick is apparently doing fine and judging by the forum, Shack fans in witness to the event saw it of little immediate concern given his reputation for such occurences.
I last saw Shack at DeeBees in Winsford in 2010 which according to most sources was a final performace of sorts, though Mick was on fine form that evening with the only downside being Templo's seeming inability to play on a borrowed right-hand kit.
Pete Wilkinson is currently back with Cast (its funny because when he played with Shack recently he was always dubbed 'ex-Cast', ironic given he was with Shack for a few years before them).
I believe Templo is currently playing with Michael Mooney (ex Julian Cope/Spiritualised). The name of the band escapes me however.
I wouldn't expect we've heard the last of Mick and co, but like his hero Arthur Lee, it will be a long, patience sapping, erratic journey for fans (of which I am one, and still 'waiting patiently' to paraphrase the old Love tune)
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Jan 31, 2012, 16:41
Thanks !
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

Feb 01, 2012, 18:22
Cheers for the update.

One of my favourite bands!
Wiggy
1696 posts

Feb 02, 2012, 17:46
I saw 'em at T&C 2 on that very tour - way better, I thought, than Baby Lemonade who he used a few years later.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Feb 03, 2012, 16:09
Re: Shack - many downloads and gigs
Feb 03, 2012, 16:07
http://www.shacknet.co.uk/downloads-2/

There are many gigs uploaded here for free, including recent(ish) Mick and John Head solo gigs. Also some Pale Fountains gigs on there.
There are other downloads too (demos and stuff) but you have to join the forum to access

There was a recording of the band with Arthur Lee in Paris from the early nineties but can't seem to see it (my eyes may be failing this Friday arvo). It might be in the members only section though.

Enjoy
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Feb 03, 2012, 16:14
Wiggy wrote:
I saw 'em at T&C 2 on that very tour - way better, I thought, than Baby Lemonade who he used a few years later.

I believe Arthur was of the same opinion himself, in the Forever Changes book he says he had to keep checking to make sure John Head was not Johnny Echols, such was his talent.
I was talking to Templo a couple of years back who told me that during the Baby Lemonade backed tours Arthur kept ringing John Head moaning about the guitarist in BL being a waste of space.
Apparently John still has Arthur's number in his phone, as a momento and reminder of their brief friendship (and of course, his son is named Arthur in respect and undoubtedly nicknamed 'arf-a-head' in school!)
Saucy Jack
7 posts

Feb 03, 2012, 19:54
The people who did the Arthur Lee documentary we're also doing a Shack dvd, its been in the pipeline for years though, so who knows if it'll ever come out.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index