Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Feb 04, 2012, 12:05
Re: Shack
Feb 04, 2012, 12:04
Saucy Jack wrote:
The people who did the Arthur Lee documentary we're also doing a Shack dvd, its been in the pipeline for years though, so who knows if it'll ever come out.

Unfortunately its not likely to in the near future, Mick has vetoed its release. Apparently (again according to Templo), he was unhappy with the way he looks in it, not sure if this meant his demeanour, portrayal or actual physical appearance. Again, this is nothing out of the ordinary in the wibbly wobbly world of Shack!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Feb 04, 2012, 12:44
Not only that - the same people who made the Love docu are also working on one about Julian's Black Sheep tour, but according to an article in Mojo he's suddenly stopped communicating with them, so whether or not it ever sees the light of day remains to be seen.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Feb 06, 2012, 10:37
I didn't think BL were bad musicians as such (and I've never really cared about that kind of thing anyway), but Shack just had that vibe of a "real" band at work (I used to get the same kind of vibe off The Fall - who were very different musically of course). I got the feeling that Shack would be a good outfit under pretty much any conditions. I wish I'd seen them more.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2012, 14:26
Feb 06, 2012, 14:25
[quote="Wiggy"]I didn't think BL were bad musicians as such..[quote]

I saw Arthur Lee & (Baby Lemonade) Love in, I think 2002 in Manchester, it was the tour he did before the Forever Changes tour and thought they were bang on the nail. I imagine that Shack reminded Arthur of the original Love lineup in that they were a ragged (in the best possible way) but capable bunch or misfits. I though it was more telling of Arthur's mindset that he kept badgering John Head with moans about BL - this is the guy who sacked the original Love lineup almost on a whim after all. I remember chatting to the lead guitarist from BL at the aftershow and he told me that the situation aurally captured on the infamous outtakes of Your Mind And We Belong Together was pretty much still the same for them.
Going back to Arthur and Shack, from the 'auto'biography and other things I've read, I think the whole experience moved Arthur deeply - for one he was amazed that the Head brothers knew Love songs better than he could remember and his Liverpool experience was something of a revelation as to how much his legend had grown over time on these shores (particularly, as with Beefheart, in the 'pool).
He mentioned being taken by the Heads to the place where The Beatles first played, that there was a picture of them in their Sgt Pepper gear over the door.
I worked out this must have been the Jacaranda on Slater Street as during the 80s and early ninetees they did have a Sgt Pepper mural over the frontage - this has since been relocated to the downstairs bar with a more traditional facade in place out front now.
More tragically however, it appears the owners of the Jac have gone into receivership and its future is pretty clouded at the moment.
I always held the place in deep fondness, not merely because of the Beatles connection but also because of Arthur Lee's fleeting patronage.
It's a special place and it'd be a shame to see it go the way of many struggling pubs.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Feb 07, 2012, 14:11
http://www.shacknet.co.uk/live-gig-details/youll-never-walk-alone-film-screening-at-the-brink/
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Edited Feb 07, 2012, 15:46
Feb 07, 2012, 15:45
Might be of only limited interest, but an early Love track is used as the backing music for a car/motorcycle chase scene in "Sons of Anarchy", which is being shown on British TV tonight at 23:20 on digital channel 5 USA.

Only mentioned as I found it an interesting choice of song, and unusual in that the only Love song that tends to turn up anywhere is the inevitable "Alone Again Or"

And thanks very much for the Shacknet link. Working my way through it. I miss them greatly.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Feb 07, 2012, 23:36
Have had Sgt. Major playing on & off
in my head for about a week
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Feb 07, 2012, 23:36
SOA is excellent !
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Feb 08, 2012, 10:16
Re: Shack in NME's 100 albums you've never heard
Feb 08, 2012, 10:15
Noticed the cover on my way to work so had a quick browse and Shack - ...On The Corner Of Miles and Gil was at number 3. Not sure if the numerical order means anything as the top 3 were all picked by Noel Gallagher (a self-confessed Shack fan and can't you bloody tell the amount of times he's tried to rip their sound off - at least to my ears anyway).
Anyway, I thought to myself, you'd have thought Waterpistol or Magical World of The Strands would have been more fitting given the remit. Then it struck me - he'd also picked Edgar Jones, Soothing Music For Stray Cats.
Both albums were on bloody Sour Mash - his label.
Cheeky f**king self-promoting get.
Well, perhaps if the promotional muscle behind ...Corner of Miles and Gil had amounted to a bit more than the equivalent of a post-it note with 'buy this' written on it in pencil, it wouldn't have been an album nobody heard!
Wiggy
1696 posts

Feb 09, 2012, 11:40
This reminds me of something I found funny;...
A few days after the T&C 2 gig, it was either David E. Barker (Fire Records) or Nick Saloman told me that while Arthur Lee and Shack were heading up to Liverpool they stopped at a service staion. Arthur Lee got out, looked around, and said "I thought Liverpool would be bigger than this"!!!=;o)
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index