Unsung Forum »
Shack

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Drood
47 posts

Shack
Jul 10, 2003, 17:25
I heard their new album "Here's Tom With The Weather" the other day.

Quite good. Echo's of Forever Changes in places.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: Shack
Jul 10, 2003, 18:04
I've heard good/interesting things about this band over the years(though nothing in some time)..think I recall Nat going on about them at one point

Hmmmm?...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 10, 2003, 18:56
Very melodic melancholic Liverpool band fronted by Mick Head (see also Pale Fountains). I have a couple of Shack albums, Water Pistol & the more recent HMS Fable which are chock full of lovely melodies, though sometimes the lyrics are a bit crappy. In between The Shack albums there was a project under the names of Michael Head & The Strands which I really like and having been playing a lot lately oddly enough. Odes to woe & smack with lovely tunes.
I shall look forward to hearing the new stuff.

The similarites to Love are deffo there 'cos Mick Head is a huge fan of the band. In fact he also got to play with his hero when I believe Arthur Lee used Shack as his backing band on a tour some years ago
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Jul 11, 2003, 10:34
Lovely band! have a couple of albums you can borrow if you like!! (Or I could copy for you...thinking about my Avebury Map there!!)

They did a lovely song all about 'Natalie's Party'!!

Think Moon Cat said about the Pale Fountains so I won't go on about them! (Thank you Severin you know me too well!! I do go on a bit don't I!)

Seen them live a couple of times and really enjoyed them, shame they never got bigger than they did really.

Nat x
Drood
47 posts

Jul 11, 2003, 13:57
I think this is a reformed Shack. Not sure if its the same line-up or not.

I'm not even sure when it comes out. I'll run you off a copy in exchange for a copy of an old one.

Hows that sound?
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Jul 11, 2003, 13:59
Done! If it's the same Shack that Moon Cat is talking about, then it's the same Shack!! Promise...

I must say the last time i saw them was 2000 (I think) so it's probably them!

N x
dru
124 posts

Jul 11, 2003, 14:46
Yes, definitely the same Shack, Mick Head and his brother, ex Pale Fountains. Haven't heard the new album yet, but they're doing a few gigs at the end of the month, only Liverpool, Manchester and London I think though. Am going to see them in London at the ICA on the 28th.

Played Waterpistol last night, to start getting in the mood again, sounded good as ever.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Jul 11, 2003, 14:57
Cool, may try for the London date myself.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2384 posts

Jul 22, 2011, 17:22
Fookin' love 'em !
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jul 23, 2011, 11:50
I love 'em - saw them supporting/blowing away Beth Orton in the late 90's and just a few years ago when the Time Machine best-of came out.

That was at the old Barfly, my co-gigging friend made a comment that they would probably be in the Irish pub on the corner in the same way that Mark E Smith often was...Amused to almost walk into them as they had a pint or two and watched a football match - not coming on to play until it was over. They seemed fairly pissed, but played brilliantly with lots of chestnuts from Waterpistol et al, as well as stuff like 'I Know You Well.' The encore was a song from The Magical World of the Strands...a shame the reformed Pale Fountains didn't play more.

Shack, like the High Llamas, are a band who do seem quite retro, but do it so well in a way that Oasis pilfering riffs etc don't. I always thought Waterpistol was the album that everyone said 'The Stone Roses' and 'The LA's was...

Hope they play somewhere round these parts...
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index