Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Silverfish...
May 19, 2003, 15:13
I used to know Fuzz way back. Used to go and see his previous band the In -stinks play in Acton.
Shoulda got a band together with him and Mitch from Hagar The Womb , think mItch wasw talkiing about calling it the Black Bombers.
Did get to see the first Silverfish gig at The Falcon in Camden . They sounded like they'd been playuing together for ages.
great band that, Stu was a pretty neat drummer.
Fuzz's leads were pure noise and Leslie was a ball of energy. I heard herv previous band THe grizzeldas was supposed to be ok too.
dunno her lqater solo Ruby stuff. any cop?
Stevo
Np Clannad Harvest Home
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Sountracks To Our Lives W/E 17/5/03
May 19, 2003, 15:18
Very, yes.

I've only seem them live once, though I'm not sure if I did (hmmm.. one of THOSE evenings). It was a do called 'shinkansen' at 'The End' in London. I blagged my way in by nodding at the doormen while holding a record bag (damn, wish I could still get away with that). anyway, I'm kinda sure it was them there, but not entirely sure if it was. Hmmm.. need confirmation. Were they there ? How can I find out.

I can confirm that Mixmaster Morris was there spinnig that crap Drum n Bass he seemed to like at the time, and he was his usual obnoxious self, bless 'im. There was also a really cool cinema group there playing mad films and a performance artist or five. This was my media/club/art whore days, so things are sketchy. I DO remember the concept was supposed to be the Art crowd meet the Club crowd (summing we'd been doing for months reasonably okayish at the ICA). Anyhow Mr C was pissed off cos the turnout was poor, which he said was because they hadnt promoted it among the club crowd at all. Which is probably why MM was ruder than usual too. So, twas just the art crowd looking posy at the bar and avoiding listening to anything except themselves.

I was riding high on some serious contraband, upsetting people and having a good time though.
stray
stray
2057 posts

May 19, 2003, 15:21
No it is no cop at all. It's below average trip hop. Well, this first Ruby thing was anyway. Dunno what else she's been doing recently though. She did work on one of those Pigface albums though, a cover version of Hips, Tits that is not a patch on the original.

oh.. you must answer a question. Is that Fuzz leaping off that balcony on the cover of that Speed Kills compilation ?
stray
stray
2057 posts

May 19, 2003, 15:30
When she was Ruby I spoke to her management about a live video thing to accompany her show. Hmmm.. think I was supposed to phone back, but then other things happened. Odd memories are surfacing today.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

May 19, 2003, 15:35
Sounds like you've had some similar stuff to me lately Joolio. I've had a real Moody Blues/John Martyn week of it. This is the Moody Blues is a cracking comp - all the best stuff on 2 CDs. I've often said that it makes an ace intro to them as it doesn't have too much of the maudlin radio two of old style filler like a lot of the original albums. Having said that I've been listening to loads of Question of Balance, In Search of the Lost Chord and Seventh Sojourn this week.

Since reading Konamans post about Mr Martyn getting all one-legged on us (I was tempted to say legless), I've been hitting his CDs with regularity. In particular Bless the Weather, Sundays Child, One World and Solid Air. Lovely for sitting in the garden with...

I've also been going through a Crimso phase, having just got hold of the re-mastered Earthbound, which is, I have to say, one noisy punk metal jazz explosion. Raw and evil in its intensity. Also the Epitaph live stuff, feeble in comparison to Earthbound but quite groovy nonetheless. Also heard In the Court of..., Lizard, and some Fripp/Eno bits, Evening Star, Another Green World etc etc. When I get a Crimso phase on only Bob & Co will do (including a few listens to Heroes and Scary Monsters - where I love Bob's bits on Fashion etc - mad!)

I'll try to do a proper Soundtracks list soon - too busy of late.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

May 19, 2003, 15:47
Hmm..this sound like it?...from'97...

Club Research at The End London, West Central Street, 9th and 10th June from 9 pm onwards. London's 5th Club Research presented by Shinkansen features Mixmaster Morris, Mr C (Shamen), a psycho-acoustic backwash from Mobile Disco Unit, Zoviet*France, a new film exploring club culture in Portugal and lots more.

Ah,google!
stray
stray
2057 posts

May 19, 2003, 15:54
WOW!!! you total star. That was it, YES! I'm not imagining evenings I had, YES! *phew*. thats right, twas called club research, shinkansen was the name of the organisers/promoters of the night. *it all floods back*
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: And another memory, made flesh.
May 19, 2003, 15:58
I have a 'sex not censorship' sticker on one of my flight cases I actually remember picking up at that evening.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: A passion play.
May 19, 2003, 16:09
Nope it doesnt get any better on a second listen ;) The outtakes, or the first attempt at this album are worth tracking down though 'The chateau d'isaster tapes' .

The Hare who lost his spectacles is good though.

For some reason that still escapes me many ppl claim Passion Play was a groundbreaking album dueto its use of synths. *shrug*

The B side of 'minstrel in the gallery' is still my fave Tull thing.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Spookment, disappointment & ointment
May 19, 2003, 18:47
CRR are still going. Think the guitarist or bassist is doing the vocals now. Certainly seen adverts for gigs recently.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index