tv license rant /the bastards

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: tv license rant /the bastards
Mar 12, 2003, 12:54
Do some people without televisions still buy consumer products? Do some people who watch adverts never buy the products being advertised?

If the answer to either question is "yes", then licence fees and ad revenues are fundamentally different.

To draw an equivalency between them is therefore unjustified. And it smacks - as i say - of Enron-accounting (the idea that two things which, on the surface, appear very similar can simply be assumed to be the same). Advertising does allow choice. It's an attempt to remove that choice (i'm not arguing otherwise), but thank christ it's not got to the point where it's 100% successful yet. Nobody goes to prison for ignoring an ad, folks. The police bust you for not paying the licence fee.

To suggest there are equivalent levels of coercion mystifies me.

I mean, come one; i've ranted enough on this forum for you to be aware of my stance on advertising, necropolist. Haven't i? I ain't trying to defend this evil and dangerous emotional manipulation and psychological bludgeoning.

But let's not over-state an argument to the point where it loses its potency through being absurd. I am never going to buy a new car (though i may buy a second-hand van when i move somewhere rural). This is despite being constantly sold new cars via commercials (they even use my favourite music to do it!)

I know all about the power of adverts. But it's very different to legal obligations to pay taxes. If you think it's the same, that there are equal measures of choice involved, the so be it. I just can't see it.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index