U-Know! Forum »
tv license rant /the bastards

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Alabama 3
8 posts

tv license rant /the bastards
Feb 27, 2003, 23:55
excuse me everyone if this is an old issue that has been hashed over before.I gotta get it out of my system.I think this fee is antiquated and absurd and deserves to go the way of the 'window tax'.Un be fuckin lievable!!!
I live in West Belfast which is notorious for its' license evaders as the tvla got the shit beat out of them when they came in.Recently a detector van showed up in Twinbrook and was wrecked by local youths.apparently these vans cost quite a few quids,like in the region of a quarter mill.So lesson learned, these fly bastards have come up with a stealth plan.I've been getting letters for well over a year,straight into the fire they go,and rightly so.However yesterday these fascist twats showed up at my door in a civilian car with 2 snoops in it,protected by 2 police jeeps cruising up and down the street and around the area.Needless to say I didn't answer the door to these dodgy looking characters but now they know I have a satellite dish and will no doubt be hounding me.

Just did a bit of research and found out about Jonathan Miller who I believe writes in The SundayTimes and is taking the tvla to court after he publicly declared that he wouldn't be paying.
This is some scary shit for real.Does everyone realise that more women are jailed for tv license evasion than any other 'crime'.This has got to be stopped,this law is barbaric.They could just reduce the fee to a reasonable level or do what the publicly supported channels in America do and hold a Telethon to raise funds.

Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights states that "Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers."

Please check out these links and sign up,write to your MP.Thanks for listening:

http://www.spiderbomb.com/tv/
http://www.spiderbomb.com/tv/womenprison.html
http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

the bastards........grrrrrrr
ron
ron
706 posts

Re: tv license rant /the bastards
Feb 28, 2003, 02:32
oops my bad... thot u were speaking 'bout those "other" bastards.... quite honestly it's hard to keep up there's so many...;)

http://cbc.ca/stories/2003/02/26/bastards030226

x
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Feb 28, 2003, 11:26
I totally agree!!
I waited for the third, red, demand for money and then my boyfriend cracked and went to pay it. We didn't have enough money to pay the whole thing, so he had to set up a direct debit. By which they make you pay for the whole thing in 6 months, and then start on the payments for the next year! the crafty bastards.
I know the arguments why I ought to pay ok. Perhaps I should have just thrown out the tv.
Alabama 3
8 posts

Feb 28, 2003, 13:05
heheh,filed for future reference
thx
Damanda
20 posts

Mar 06, 2003, 22:18
How much is your license fee and how often do you have to pay it? In addition to your license fee, do you still have to pay your cable/ sattelite monthly charges?

We don't have to pay for a tv license in the US, but you have to sit through probably 26 minutes of commercials for every hour of programming on the networks. then at night, the cable and satellite programs sell your channels out to infomercials which cancel out programming at that time of the night and you don['t get to see what's being broadcast to other parts of the country which didn't sell out their time slots. This is done to offset the cost of keeping a channel on the air so that it doesn't fall under the pay channel umbrella. Less popular channels such as home and garden tv, the travel channel, the food network, bbc america, fine living and the history channel usually go to "paid programming" after midnight.

The channels that are commercial free are paid channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc etc etc and other channels that you pay for....like the Biography channel, VH1 Classic, etc etc. The other channels that are commercial free are the PBS channels. (Public Broadcasting) and you get one per major metropolitan area. They do quarterly pledge drives, but the programming is pretty boring and dismal. During the pledge drives they do have a lot of interesting programs though. One of the most succesful pledge drives was for a station in Seattle which aired that Neil Gaiman UK series "Neverwhere" during pledge week. My brother worked for a PBS station at the time and was able to get me copies of the shows. (yay!)

Your tv license fees sound awful and the fact that they actually arrest people for the violations is probably what is worse. If they actually need the funds to operate the stations, maybe they should just tack them on to the cable and sattelite fees or just impose a tax on every new television sold. If the dismal alternative to charging these fees is having to be bombarded with shitty adverts throughout your shortened program times...well, I don't know which one is worse.

I watch pay tv almost exclusively because the commercials kill me.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Mar 07, 2003, 01:40
Tv license works out at about £10 a month. Then you have whatever package you have on cable/digital which ranges from about £3 to about £100. I have no TV. (Which is still novel enough for me to keep mentioning it.)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Mar 07, 2003, 06:49
Despite their many shoet comings I still think the BBC is an amazing thing. Just look at the BBC web site - it's amazing. Look at the world service. Yes, it can be viewed as a propaganda machine, but I still rate it.

Being a small country (landmass wise) the UK & Ireland has terrestally broadcast TV. You don't have to have cable. The BBC operate 6 or 7 'free' channels plus very many commercial free radio stations (both national and local).

Knock the BBC for their real faults not the license fee.

As for the tactics of the detectors! Well, those bastards can feck right off! My late wife was prosecuted after a man came to the door doing a survey. The question 'What soaps do you watch?' was thrown in the middle and when she answered he said, 'But you don't have a TV llicense!' ... wankers!!!
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Mar 11, 2003, 12:24
i 2nd you fourwinds - i like the way world service refers to "the regime in london" and stuff like that ver funny, and diff perspective.

the bbc is great, radio4 is a second home for me, i love writing/literature, discussion/history, comedy/satire, news/history and although sonewhat tainted at times r4 is the absolute best i've come across - better n anything on the tv as far as i can see. and has the added bonus of being soft on my southern english petit bourgeoius ears. company too in the lonely moments of life.

the criticism should be for the utter pap put out on the mainstream tv channels, shallow, follow the herd, unrepentently materialistic and asanine drivel. ps. i like changing rooms tho! (joke)

I don't care about the licence fee better n fuckin adverts - to advertisers i say fuck off out me heed, take yer nasty images and keep they're yours not mine, keep em.

yours rantily of small blue planet
Nick
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Mar 11, 2003, 12:35
i agree too. The BBC is far from perfect, but it's a good deal better than any other large media outlet i can think of. Kind of The Guardian of the airwaves, y'know? They're still going to steer clear of undermining the established order in any great way, but are - at least - a step up from the rest.

However, the problem i have with the licence-fee is that it's mandatory. It's a technical issue, i guess, but there should be a way of blocking an individual TV from picking up the BBC signal. If Joe Smith decides he'd rather save 100 quid a year and lose out on the BBC, then he should have the right to do so.

As it happens, BBC News-24 is by a *long* way the most watched TV channel in my household, with the dial rarely leaving it (except for a couple of hours on Sky-1 from 8 to 10 on Thursdays, of course :-)

So i have no objections to paying the licence fee. If some of that money is supporting an alternative to the tabloid mess that is Sky News or the shiny shallowness of CNN, then it's money well-spent. And BBC-Four is pretty good too.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 11, 2003, 13:02
It occurred to me last night (as I was sat in front of Eastenders) - these people, of whom I know quite a few, who say they don't have a tv set. It's all very well but if you're skint it's an excellent source of information and entertainment. Of course I would go out dining and to the cinema and the theatre and the pub every night, but I can't afford it. So bar reading and painting and playing board games and phoning people up every night, watching the tv's ok of an evening. Some people are right snobby about not owning one, don't you find?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index