38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: That's that then....
Jul 07, 2018, 17:39
nigelswift wrote:
"so long as Michel Barnier doesn't dig his in heels in wanting to make the UK suffer unduly."

The other perspective of that is that maybe Barnier won't want the 27 to suffer AT ALL for what wasn't their doing. He has the right and duty.

Which would leave us with no deal, and the negative consequences will fall exactly where they ought to.

I am and always have been a believer in the Middle Way - no country will suffer as much as the UK if it leaves the EU without some sort of trade deal. I can't see even the Labour Party backtracking now. I heard Lisa Nandy, Labour MP for Wigan speak on QT the other evening - Wigan voted to leave the EU as did the town I live in - not Little Englanders but pretty much average working (class) towns. There was something going on other than only anti-immigration sentiments which led many people to vote for something they didn't understand in the hope of change. Those ordinary people probably now realise they were mistaken but still ... when will they be listened to. Not in the food banks that's for sure.

Jeremy Corbyn was sneered at and ridiculed at PMQ the other day for raising the issue of bus cuts - some MPs apparently shouted "Taxi".
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/06/jeremy-corbyn-buses-labour

If it is possible to do so I go along with the working-in-close-alliance stance with some but not total freedom of movement for workers and students. A compromise yes, but I truly hope for everyone's sake Barnier is willing to compromise a bit too.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index