13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: The dangers of deregulation
Jun 15, 2017, 22:46
thesweetcheat wrote:
I agree with all of this. In fact it also ties in with the point I made to you in the other thread that UK austerity is a home-grown parasite, not at EU one. What has happened here is very much the profit-at-any-cost-to-hell-with-state-intervention stuff we have become used to under successive governments (and I wouldn't excuse New Labour wholly there either, although it has definitely escalated since 2010). The fact that 300-odd Tory MPs voted against making it a legal requirement that rented accommodation is "fit for human habitation" was shoddy then and positively sickening now.

There is however a very real danger that the Tories intend to use the excuse of the Great Repeal Bill as a cloak to mask a lot more deregulation. Although hopefully their lack of a real majority may prevent the worst excesses happening. One rich man's "red tape" is without doubt another poor man's security from the consequences of the worst of cost-cutting and profiteering.

Thanks your posts tsc, I read George Monboit's piece. Like the rest of the country I am still horrified and bewildered at how an 'accident' on this scale could happen. Judging by some of the posts I've seen on social media I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't riots over this. Unsurprisingly, once the shock wears off, there will be a lot of very real anger out there on the streets.

U-Know! Forum Index