Getting a bit worried about Syria...

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: London
Dec 05, 2015, 13:55
I'm in Wales, there's a lot of passion for independence here, not as much as Scotland but still a lot of dissent towards westminster rule
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2015, 14:07
Dec 05, 2015, 13:58
I mean, you hate us all anyway! English and Welsh. Why keep us? There's only 5 million of us. That's pretty shaggable and sustainable!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Dec 05, 2015, 14:18
Welsh like you all!
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2015, 14:34
Dec 05, 2015, 14:30
We hide in tiny pockets like mice.
Somebody at work thought there were 50 million Scots.
I joked and said, that's called imperialism.

We don't do that anymore.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2015, 14:35
Re: Daily Mail!!!
Dec 05, 2015, 14:33
It was pointed out after QT on This Week that Tony Benn founded Stop The War, and that now his son has spoken in favour of one....and has done much by his words to start it. The protagonists from one side being the same that his father opposed. If you watched the debate to its end, when Foreign Minister Phillip Hammond spoke in reply to 'Our' Hilary, reading from a pre-prepared carefully worded statement, his reference to Benn's speech was a seamless part. I am in no doubt that the Conservatives and he had put their heads together beforehand. Who wrote what he spoke?What has this man done? I fear how we are going to find out.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Dec 05, 2015, 14:54
A lot of people speak about Benn, saying his father would be ashamed. I, along with everyone else aren't qualified to comment about that, but I think that he may comment on how his son spoke so passionately about this and never speaks as equally passionate on subjects like social justice.

Sadly that speech (not seen it, don't want to, but read 'highlights') will be what he's remembered for, regardless of whatever he does in the future. He may well turn out to be a fine member of the shadow cabinet and possibly future cabinet but that speech will mark him for the rest of his life.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Dec 05, 2015, 15:00
Captain Starlet wrote:
A lot of people speak about Benn, saying his father would be ashamed. I, along with everyone else aren't qualified to comment about that, but I think that he may comment on how his son spoke so passionately about this and never speaks as equally passionate on subjects like social justice.

Sadly that speech (not seen it, don't want to, but read 'highlights') will be what he's remembered for, regardless of whatever he does in the future. He may well turn out to be a fine member of the shadow cabinet and possibly future cabinet but that speech will mark him for the rest of his life.

The father will never be the son and vice versa, but principles are forever.

I've blogged this interview to annoyance, but here it is again..

https://vimeo.com/14928520
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 05, 2015, 17:20
I've commented elsewhere, but I didn't think it was a very good speech at all.

I watched and also saw the reaction on Twitter at the time, people seemed Very Impressed by his delivery and "passion" but he didn't really say anything, it was chest-beating rhetoric of the worst kind and the only "case" for bombing he made was that IS are Bad People.

As for persuading people by oratorical skill alone, plenty of people have been seduced by similar in the past. I believe a certain Austrian corporal was an electric public speaker.

Here's a proper speech:

https://youtu.be/HfXmpJRZPYI
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Dec 05, 2015, 17:26
Tony Benn, Nicky Wire and that gay person with the pointy hair. What's not to love?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 05, 2015, 17:29
Don't forget JC in the background. Corbyn, not Cope. Or Jesus.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index