Obama, guns, and 'Kinder surprise chocolate eggs'

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
haris
haris
8 posts

Re: Obama, guns, and 'Kinder surprise chocolate eggs'
Oct 06, 2015, 22:33
Having been born in the UK and lived my last 40 in Detroit, Michigan, USA, I probably developed a strange set of "gun thoughts".
My view of the gun has gone from fear to hate to reluctant acceptance, simply based on prevalence.
Reality of over 300 million guns in America and the rate at which they are used and abused, makes you think about it a lot. Still, there is much misunderstanding from those in and outside the country, on how and why so many guns are here.

This is a country where being an atheist or a weed smoker is still considered dangerous and owning a gun is considered good by most. In a way it's still "Old West" mentality. Bad guys got 'em-YOU better get 'em too.

Most deaths are still Blacks and poor people and the government doesn't care too much about that (it seems).
When a sufficient amount of rich white blood is spilled, they might consider some action, but don't count on it. Remember, this is a place where dozens of people have to die at a road intersection before there is justification for a traffic light.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Oct 07, 2015, 02:57
haris wrote:
Having been born in the UK and lived my last 40 in Detroit, Michigan, USA, I probably developed a strange set of "gun thoughts".
My view of the gun has gone from fear to hate to reluctant acceptance, simply based on prevalence.
Reality of over 300 million guns in America and the rate at which they are used and abused, makes you think about it a lot. Still, there is much misunderstanding from those in and outside the country, on how and why so many guns are here.

This is a country where being an atheist or a weed smoker is still considered dangerous and owning a gun is considered good by most. In a way it's still "Old West" mentality. Bad guys got 'em-YOU better get 'em too.

Most deaths are still Blacks and poor people and the government doesn't care too much about that (it seems).
When a sufficient amount of rich white blood is spilled, they might consider some action, but don't count on it. Remember, this is a place where dozens of people have to die at a road intersection before there is justification for a traffic light.

I agree 100 % except...Enough white blood will never be spilled in the same proportion as black because in general White on white crime and black on white crime are WAY smaller in scale to Black on
Black crime. That's just a fact that I don't see changing anytime at all.
haris
haris
8 posts

Oct 07, 2015, 18:05
[/quote]
I agree 100 % except...Enough white blood will never be spilled in the same proportion as black because in general White on white crime and black on white crime are WAY smaller in scale to Black on
Black crime. That's just a fact that I don't see changing anytime at all.[/quote]

True. You are right. But people are finally getting alarmed about how many are dying in these mass-murder attacks by lone wolfers (weekly). Most victims and killers are white. If these killers actually start targeting high profile white groups instead of randomly slaughtering innocents, we may see action faster than we think.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Oct 10, 2015, 03:08
This video of Robert Kennedy has been dug up just to show how much progress we made.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/robert-f-kennedy-discussed-gun-control-roseburg-50-years-ago
5-Track
5-Track
193 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 02:51
I quite like the analogy, or whatever it is. Some ridiculous & likely harmless thing is banned but we can't seem to stop people killing each other at astonishing rates with tools intended for exactly that purpose.

Happily, up here in Washington State, smoking weed in public is a lesser offense anymore than jaywalking. So there's that glimmer of hope.

As for "black-on-black" crime, there's this perspective, tho I wouldn't pretend to be an expert, myself.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rasheena-fountain/black-on-black-crime-the-_b_8228738.html
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 04:54
5-Track wrote:
I quite like the analogy, or whatever it is. Some ridiculous & likely harmless thing is banned but we can't seem to stop people killing each other at astonishing rates with tools intended for exactly that purpose.

Happily, up here in Washington State, smoking weed in public is a lesser offense anymore than jaywalking. So there's that glimmer of hope.

As for "black-on-black" crime, there's this perspective, tho I wouldn't pretend to be an expert, myself.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rasheena-fountain/black-on-black-crime-the-_b_8228738.html

Totally off topic 5-track but the wife and I are planning a possible house hunt trip to Oregon and Washington state in march, we are looking at Vancouver Wa and Newport Or, do you have an opinion on either place?
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 13:05
Could not believe this one.

http://journaltelegraph.com/2015/10/10/america-outrgaed-as-gun-shop-opens-near-virginia-school/

**A gun shop has opened on the perimeter of a school in the same week as parents mourned the victims of the latest shooting tragedy in the US.**

Saw this on our TV news too, there were plenty of parents left gobsmacked.

When a gun crime happens in the UK we are struck and also 'thankful' at how rare it is.

And as I said, when we had the terrible Dunblane primary school shooting in the 90s straight away gun laws were tightened and many were confiscated, and we have not had anything like it since.
Yes there have been massacres involving 'knives' and the like but nothing on the scale, even if you measure it 'per capita', than happens in the US.
5-Track
5-Track
193 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 17:41
billding68 wrote:

Totally off topic 5-track but the wife and I are planning a possible house hunt trip to Oregon and Washington state in march, we are looking at Vancouver Wa and Newport Or, do you have an opinion on either place?

Haven't been to either... Tho I've driven through Vancouver WA en route to Portland a few times. Proximity to Portland would be a plus, & right on the freeway if you're into that. Where do you live now?

Checking Newport on a map, turns out I HAVE driven through it, Oregon coast is gorgeous so I guess it comes down to if you prefer coastal access or city access? I would likely prefer coast, my wife would probably prefer city :)
5-Track
5-Track
193 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 17:43
sanshee wrote:
Could not believe this one.

http://journaltelegraph.com/2015/10/10/america-outrgaed-as-gun-shop-opens-near-virginia-school/

**A gun shop has opened on the perimeter of a school in the same week as parents mourned the victims of the latest shooting tragedy in the US.**

Saw this on our TV news too, there were plenty of parents left gobsmacked.

When a gun crime happens in the UK we are struck and also 'thankful' at how rare it is.

And as I said, when we had the terrible Dunblane primary school shooting in the 90s straight away gun laws were tightened and many were confiscated, and we have not had anything like it since.
Yes there have been massacres involving 'knives' and the like but nothing on the scale, even if you measure it 'per capita', than happens in the US.

It makes one wonder what it is that people want, or who it is that wants it.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Oct 11, 2015, 20:40
Perversely, gun sales always go up when anyone makes a noise about limiting them. Although apparently the deer hunting season is also an annual spike.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index