tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 14, 2015, 08:45
Re: SNP to vote against repeal of Hunting Act
Jul 14, 2015, 08:42
thesweetcheat wrote:
I've emailed my MP (Con).

He seems to be keeping very quiet about how he'll vote, but the Tory landslide in the SW was partly due to rural campaigning by pro-hunt landowners, so I don't hold out much hope.

A depressing aspect of living in this part of the country - you are right it is the wealthy land owners who are calling the tune on this. Good news about the Scottish MPs though and there is a groundswell of objection on social media. I know you don't 'do' FB but you would be cheered to know a large percentage of posts making it into my news feed are against repealing or changing the Hunting Act. Plenty of articulate, high profile people such as Brian May and Ricky Gervais, fighting the good fight.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 14, 2015, 08:49
tjj wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
I've emailed my MP (Con).

He seems to be keeping very quiet about how he'll vote, but the Tory landslide in the SW was partly due to rural campaigning by pro-hunt landowners, so I don't hold out much hope.

A depressing aspect of living in this part of the country - you are right it is the wealthy land owners who are calling the tune on this. Good news about the Scottish MPs though and there is a groundswell of objection on social media. I know you don't 'do' FB but you would be cheered to know the large percentage of posts making it into my news feed is against repealing or changing the Hunting Act. Our friend AC is back, articulate as ever, fighting the good fight.

I don't 'do' FB either but a great many people out there do take note of the groundswell and if there is enough of it, it will make a difference.
Of course it doesn't help when 'Dave' threatens his flock with 'Support the government...or look for another job'!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2558 posts

Edited Jul 14, 2015, 09:34
Jul 14, 2015, 09:33
An act of beauty and caring by a party that shows that it cares. It also shows that north of the border the RedTories and Conservatives should just shut up and go away.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jul 14, 2015, 12:52
The same has been the case on twitter.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 14, 2015, 22:51
thesweetcheat wrote:
The same has been the case on twitter.

Great news...tomorrow's vote has been put on hold but I only caught a snippet on the news so don't know the full details!!
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jul 14, 2015, 23:05
Sanctuary wrote:
Great news...tomorrow's vote has been put on hold but I only caught a snippet on the news so don't know the full details!!

My reading of the situation is that they've decided to postpone the vote until the government have passed the "English Votes on English Laws Act" (or whatever they decide to name it). At that point they will reschedule the Hunting vote, secure in the knowledge that the Scottish MPs won't be eligible.

There's still no guarantee they'll win a free vote, even if they exclude the SNP, but it'll certainly shorten the odds on it.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 14, 2015, 23:21
grufty jim wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

My reading of the situation is that they've decided to postpone the vote until the government have passed the "English Votes on English Laws Act" (or whatever they decide to name it). At that point they will reschedule the Hunting vote, secure in the knowledge that the Scottish MPs won't be eligible.

There's still no guarantee they'll win a free vote, even if they exclude the SNP, but it'll certainly shorten the odds on it.

The bastards always find a way around things don't they, but in doing so are conveying to us what a load of conniving shit-heads they really are!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Enough Tory MPs may oppose repeal of Hunting Act
Jul 14, 2015, 23:50
I must admit, I have found this whole affair to be more of a proxy battle against the Conservatives and less about the issue at hand since I realised this is solely about the number of dogs you can take out on a hunt. Was I being totally naive imagining that fox hunting was illegal, full stop? Apparently more foxes are being killed each year now than before, via snare traps and the like.

I suppose it could be considered a baby-step towards, maybe, not engaging in an animal holocaust every single day. It wasn't just foxes who got the fuzzy end of the lollipop. I read somewhere that the majority of hunting dogs are considered over the hill by the time they hit five and shot- ten thousand each year in England before the ban. Horses have a similar hard time from the hunt.

I really hate that we live in a world which puts sentient beings through the grinder. You can judge an adult by how they treat a child, and you can judge a higher species by how they treat defenceless animals.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Re: Enough Tory MPs may oppose repeal of Hunting Act
Jul 15, 2015, 02:18
Proverbs 12:10 tells us, "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jul 15, 2015, 19:40
I understand that Scottish MPs will still get to vote on it, even if EVEL gets passed. However, English MPs may get a right of veto.

In some ways it would be more instructive to see the results of an English only vote on the issue, in terms of English MPs representing their constituents rather than their sponsors/donors.

The majority of people in Britain are anti-hunting*, so it will be a good mirror to hold up to the way democracy works here if MPs vote against the wishes of the majority of their constituents.

*YouGov poll Jan 2015 https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/01/09/british-people-still-support-fox-hunting-ban/
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index