Enough Tory MPs may oppose repeal of Hunting Act

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Enough Tory MPs may oppose repeal of Hunting Act
Jun 30, 2015, 19:31
Sorry that my source is the *xpress, but potentially heartening news if they vote like they suggest they will:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/587844/MPs-fox-hunting-attempt
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Enough Tory MPs may oppose repeal of Hunting Act
Jul 01, 2015, 08:19
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sorry that my source is the *xpress, but potentially heartening news if they vote like they suggest they will:

Good to hear that there may be some decent human beings amongst them. Was this mentioned prior to the election or is that a stupid question?

There is enough bloodshed going on in the world at the present time without it being further extended to our countryside. I hope the proposal gets a real thrashing!
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Jul 01, 2015, 12:32
Jul 01, 2015, 12:14
Sanctuary wrote:
Good to hear that there may be some decent human beings amongst them. Was this mentioned prior to the election or is that a stupid question?

There is enough bloodshed going on in the world at the present time without it being further extended to our countryside. I hope the proposal gets a real thrashing!

The tories were quite explicit about revisiting the fox-hunting ban. Initially it was mooted that they would support a repeal of the ban, but in order to stave off a rebellion from urban tories (who know the issue is a vote-loser for them) they instead promised a "free parliamentary vote" on it, which is what's happening.

Therefore, talk of tory "rebels" is just media sensationalism. It's clear that the tory party is generally in favour of repealing the ban, but they have not made it government policy, so there's no line to rebel against. Hopefully enough of them will choose to uphold the ban to sway the vote... it'll only be a symbolic defeat for the tories, but it will be a victory for sanity and compassion (both of which could do with a win right now... it's been a while!)

The only party running in the last election that was explicit about repealing the ban as a matter of government policy was - of course - UKIP. Farage is a vocal supporter of The Countryside Alliance (writes regularly for their magazine) and of hunting in general.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jul 01, 2015, 20:50
grufty jim wrote:
....Hopefully enough of them will choose to uphold the ban to sway the vote... it'll only be a symbolic defeat for the tories, but it will be a victory for sanity and compassion (both of which could do with a win right now... it's been a while!)

Quite. As Gandhi said, you should judge a country by the way it treats its animals.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 02, 2015, 07:13
I think a lot of them probably think of us plebs as animals...
carol27
747 posts

Jul 02, 2015, 07:47
Rhiannon wrote:
I think a lot of them probably think of us plebs as animals...

I work in a place where pheasant shooters & expensive fishing rights people stay over at times & although most of them manage to remain civil, some of them definitely are accustomed to clicking their fingers & getting what they want; straight away. It's a world apart & the sycophancy to the rich can be nauseating. I just try to stay true to myself & although I've been glanced at askance I just look em straight in the eye. I did however burst out laughing once at one ridiculous idiot & expected trouble but he actually didn't know what to do & nothing happened. A lot of them drink & drive too, but the police know that & nowt happens, I suspect Masonry. Ah, country life.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jul 02, 2015, 13:10
Let's certainly hope so. Barbaric cruelty and sadism masquerading as 'culture'. This is a shameful excuse, be it foxhunting, hare coursing, bullfighting etc.

Animals in circuses, Seaworld etc are also deplorable.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jul 02, 2015, 17:39
Well luckily they'll be introducing the Hunger Games to replace fox hunting.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 09, 2015, 08:49
thesweetcheat wrote:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pm-accused-over-fox-hunting-rules-131254526.html#8A9csPh
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jul 09, 2015, 12:58
Bastards.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index