U-Know! Forum »
Boston Marathon bomber Tsarnaev sentenced to death

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Boston Marathon bomber Tsarnaev sentenced to death
May 18, 2015, 10:52
but how is snuffing someone out like a candle any form of retribution? he's not going to be sitting there in the afterlife thinking 'damn I've missed out on being alive', he's not going to be conscious or sorry of anything. Well, that's if you believe in the no afterlife version. And if there is an afterlife, are we hoping it's the Hellfire and Damnation version he's going to, so God can tell him off for eternity? Because it might not be. It might be the Virgins and Raisins version, which wouldn't be what the capital punishment advocates would want at all, surely. I suppose we could blow his legs off with some ballbearings, an eye for an eye and all that. But that doesn't seem very civilised, it's not really how I'd want the rest of society to behave towards one another. tricky stuff.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 18, 2015, 11:12
Rhiannon wrote:
but how is snuffing someone out like a candle any form of retribution? he's not going to be sitting there in the afterlife thinking 'damn I've missed out on being alive', he's not going to be conscious or sorry of anything. Well, that's if you believe in the no afterlife version. And if there is an afterlife, are we hoping it's the Hellfire and Damnation version he's going to, so God can tell him off for eternity? Because it might not be. It might be the Virgins and Raisins version, which wouldn't be what the capital punishment advocates would want at all, surely. I suppose we could blow his legs off with some ballbearings, an eye for an eye and all that. But that doesn't seem very civilised, it's not really how I'd want the rest of society to behave towards one another. tricky stuff.

Tricky stuff indeed and for us as free thinking individuals to make our own minds up as to which camp we sit in.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 18, 2015, 12:04
indeed, that's the interest in discussing it.

So, had he appeared to be sorry, would that change how he should be dealt with, do you think?

(I suppose we do already have that in a way, in that if you plead 'not guilty' and you're deemed guilty, that's seen as worse. And if you go for the 'guilty plea' you are accepting your responsibility to some extent and sometimes get a lesser sentence.)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

May 18, 2015, 12:47
Sanctuary wrote:
It is one thing to kill a person in a sudden attack of anger, but planned killing is abhorrent to all and the perpetrators should expect the very worst when they are brought to justice. According to all reports Tsarnaev shows no remorse whatsoever.

"Planned killing is abhorrent to all", yet the death penalty is okay? Not sure how you square that particular circle.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited May 18, 2015, 13:12
May 18, 2015, 13:02
Rhiannon wrote:

So, had he appeared to be sorry, would that change how he should be dealt with, do you think?

(I suppose we do already have that in a way, in that if you plead 'not guilty' and you're deemed guilty, that's seen as worse. And if you go for the 'guilty plea' you are accepting your responsibility to some extent and sometimes get a lesser sentence.)

Time can be a great healer as we all know, but to forgive a heinous crime such as this was, could be seen as having no compassion for the family that were left bereft after their loss.

The 'problem' today, due to the almost everyday occurrence of this type of murderous act, is the danger of accepting these crimes as 'normal' and part and parcel of everyday life and by doing so lessening their brutality and 'rewarding' the murderers with lesser sentences than they deserve.

Planned murder is planned murder and deserves the ultimate sentence in my book, so no, nothing would change my stance on this.

Sorry.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Edited May 18, 2015, 13:44
May 18, 2015, 13:43
Sanctuary wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

Time can be a great healer as we all know, but to forgive a heinous crime such as this was, could be seen as having no compassion for the family that were left bereft after their loss.

The 'problem' today, due to the almost everyday occurrence of this type of murderous act, is the danger of accepting these crimes as 'normal' and part and parcel of everyday life and by doing so lessening their brutality and 'rewarding' the murderers with lesser sentences than they deserve.

Planned murder is planned murder and deserves the ultimate sentence in my book, so no, nothing would change my stance on this.

Sorry.

well said, as far as pleading guilty to gain a more lenient sentence that's not really how it works, it shortens the time the case will be in court but most judges in the U.S. don't take a guilty plea as remorse it just makes their job easier so they can process you and move to the next case. of course every now and then a judge will hand out a bizarre punishment either too extreme or too lenient but for the most part they dole out the hurt pretty good which is why our jail/prison systems are so over crowded.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 18, 2015, 13:45
No need to apologise for your opinion!

Buut my only rejoinder would be, if you're using the 'ultimate deterrent' argument, is there any evidence that it really does put people off committing such crimes? It sounds like it doesn't -you say it's 'a daily occurrence' (hopefully it's not that common) - so surely the threat of being put to death actually isn't making sufficient difference?
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 18, 2015, 13:45
Rhiannon wrote:
but how is snuffing someone out like a candle any form of retribution?

If retribution and justice are the same thing, i must have missed that part of my social studies education.
Why compare what amounts to vengence to a society's judicial system.
There is no retribution at work here...only a mandated justice.
The Tsarnaev brothers knew the penalty of there actions, they proceded against there own survival insticts and made survival of random victims a non-option.

Really.....it was THEY who chose the way there own lives would conclude.
They just needed to be caught.

They both would have almost certainly acted out against society at large{again} had they not been caught. There is no coming back from crossing the line they did.

Prison will be a bearpit for this guy to try and survive.
A butterfly amongst the huns.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 18, 2015, 13:49
"If retribution and justice are the same thing, i must have missed that part of my social studies education.
Why compare what amounts to vengence to a society's judicial system."

ah you missed what I'd written before... that's the point I was making, that retribution/vengeance and justice are different things in a civilised society. And that if you want the former, you shouldn't expect the latter to necessarily dish it out for you (eg a painful death in the electric chair).
dhajjieboy
913 posts

May 18, 2015, 14:02
As i said,
The 2 brothers chose the way there lives would conclude.
It was there choice.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index