17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: 'Great' Britain
Apr 27, 2015, 14:07
Robot Emperor wrote:
"Great" Britain actually dates back to the Norman conquest and has nothing to do with boasting about military prowess or anything else. Breton in France was the "Little" Breton and Britain was bigger. Breton was still known as a haven that Britains escaped to during the conflict with the Saxons.

More to do with how our new owners viewed their property in the 11th Century.

Poverty (even the relative version we currently have here) breeds all sorts of foul ideas and opinions. At least the economic jealousy version of racism is emanating from some of my compatriots exiled down here in the lower orders. As the Jews have found at various times in their history, its when you piss off the more respectable strata of society that the real carnage starts...

I think you're missing my point a bit there, I'm not talking about the name 'Great' just what made the country great. For me the fact that we're a mongrel nation mixed from bits of all over the place (essentially multicultural) is what makes this country great. I don't care about armies or whatever, for me the origins of the country are far more worthy than the end result.

Can't say I disagree with the second paragraph, I was listening to someone say, a few years ago, that economic depression always brings rise to more extremists as they need someone to blame. Certainly rings true for what I've seen, and probably a lot more

U-Know! Forum Index