'Great' Britain

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

'Great' Britain
Apr 21, 2015, 14:33
Not sure if it's always been this way but there does seem to be an alarming amount of racism/xenophobia in our once great nation these days. I say once great country as, as far as I'm concerned, this is something that shames Britain, and a country in shame cannot exactly be called great!

Some things I've seen online these past few days, deliberately designed to bait people into believing that only non white/Christians are the persecutors of brutality are truly hypocritical, ill informed and just plain disgusting.

The tragedy of the refugees last weekend has brought an appalling amount of inhumanity, vileness, hate, racism, ignorance, fascism, nazism all of which surmised in a small, but seemingly growing rise of neo-nazism in the uk. Now I know this country has had it's spates of that with Moseley, Powell, Farage, Griffin etc but they usually disappear back under the rock as soon as they've realised they've made twats of themselves (with the exclusion of farage who doesn't seem capable of grasping the fact he's well past that), however there's an alarming amount of hate spewing nazis online these days, undermining everything that once made this country great!

What made Britain great for me was that this country was a haven for those that wanted a chance, somewhere opportunity live a multicultural haven, not the place that hates everything not white, or doesn't fit into their narrow viewpoint. It's people like that that make me truly ashamed to be British these days.

Now I know that ukip will disappear the way of bnp, but sadly there's always someone ready to take on the mantle of fuhrer claiming to stand up what they think Britishness is, without even the slightest understanding of what Britishness actually is!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: 'Great' Britain
Apr 21, 2015, 15:28
Actually the racial imperialists hearken closer to the Great Britain of yore than the tender-hearted multi-culturalists who figure if you risk your life escaping from a desecrated country on a dinghy because of sudden, unexpected warfare or climate change, you've earned your citizenship more than anyone who just happened to be squatted out here. We've been a country of meddling murderers, setting up concentration camps abroad, razing villages, playing at sultans in countries we know little about only for it to result in millions of deaths further down the line, for centuries. That's the Great Britain people look back dewy-eyed upon. And we're still pretty close to that Britain, what with selling arms to something like fourteen countries on our human rights blacklist. I say bring in as many of these cats here as possible, and maybe they'll possibly edge their way into power one day and curtail the wholesale murder and neglect of their countrymen.

I do think it's important to have a bit of your own personal space to breathe and think in, which a lot of people in the UK just aren't getting. That's probably because we're focussing on vilifying these immigrants (who are suddenly referred to on the news as migrants now that it behoves them to put on sad puppy faces), rather than promoting unsung parts of the country. There's still a ton of spacious, almost deserted parts of Britain that can be filled in a little without having to encroach upon the countryside. Ironically, it's those places with the fewest [im]migrants which have the highest ratio of racists. Same ol' Oooh change! Oooh, the unknown! story.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 21, 2015, 15:41
For me what made the country 'great' goes way back further than imperialism. As far as I'm concerned Britain is a mongrel nation at best, made up of bits of everywhere else. Sadly though ye olde knuckle draggers only want to see the other parts when the world map was largely pink!

I don't blame immigrants for anything, why not come here if there's a chance of making a better life? I do blame the racists etc for stamping their foot about immigrants coming here when all our ancestors were immigrants in the first place.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2015, 16:33
Apr 21, 2015, 16:33
I do think a bit of empathy for these racist dewds might help this situation (empathy's always best spent on people way outside of your viewpoint). Even before the rise and renaming of BNP to UKIP, I did get the impression that there were a ton of angry white peoples around with a big vinegary chip on their shoulder about where exactly the Great in Great Britain went. It may have been something inherited from their parents, who had to endure rationing, scrimp-and-save culture for far longer than any non-Communist post-war nation. Having Had and Lost is, in some ways, a bigger pill to swallow than Never Had At All- the latter can always aspire to greatness, while the former is forced to internalise and feed their wounded pride. This may be one reason why, on a whole, we have one of the gloomiest, weariest national characters going. It seems like that internalised anger has erupted, a generation or two down the line, and naturally been funnelled into the most defenceless of targets.

As a Gaia-worshipper who loves to spend a few days every couple of weeks hammocking wild in and around ancient downland, woodland and valleys, if we've got to have a backwards-looking national character (and I don't think we do), then one invoking pre-Norman days would be a good place to start. I just feel we look back far too bloody much as it is, and cleaning the slate might be our best bet. It's time to join the world.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 21, 2015, 16:56
Hmm, interesting thought, and I do agree, I think we should be a forward looking nation, sadly many people are obsessed with 'the good old days' and only focusing on the negatives of the world today. I see a lot of positive in the world, apart from the negative, and I find it much healthier. Would love to get out for a few days in the country though, sadly trapped in a city, no car and a full time job I can't afford to take leave from, but getting back to nature, so to speak, I think is great for everyone, there's no bigotry in nature.

I'm pretty sure that in the next few years ukip will be crawling back under their rock, the bnp were getting their name out in 2009, look where they are now! I know this has always been around, maybe now it's more organised thanks to things like the internet which gets like 'minds' get together and come up with something that actually doesn't make much sense with no basis in education. I don't really see any sense in hatred. I have problems with showing them empathy, my parents grew up during the same era as many of the people who are guilty of being these racist...etc types. Ok my mother's pretty right wing, but not to any point that's in any way excessive or abusive, she's just opinionated, but she also grew up in the Midlands where there were already mixed communities. Maybe demography ha a part to play? However, I find it difficult to find any empathy towards them, I managed to learn for myself how to live with people, learn that non whites and non UK born people aren't to blame for the state of the country. I do believe it's more convenient to blame someone else for our own failings than face them ourselves. However, how difficult is it to not to be so hate filled? Must be hard work!
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2015, 17:32
Apr 21, 2015, 17:31
I'm a bit spooked that Ron Atkinson tweeted me. Just banter and footy I hope.

In real life this song really sums it up. The industrial sounds of later Depeche Mode are something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGGlTR71FEk
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 24, 2015, 15:38
Interesting article that not only denounces the likes of hopkins but also points out the spate of ill informed rhetoric that permeates much of today's press. It's quite worrying (for me anyway) that the idea of us and them is getting more publicity, instead of looking at people as humans.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/apr/24/katie-hopkins-cockroach-migrants-denounced-united-nations-human-rights-commissioner?CMP=fb_gu
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Apr 24, 2015, 23:40
Apr 24, 2015, 23:02
Captain Starlet wrote:
Interesting article that not only denounces the likes of hopkins but also points out the spate of ill informed rhetoric that permeates much of today's press. It's quite worrying (for me anyway) that the idea of us and them is getting more publicity, instead of looking at people as humans.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/apr/24/katie-hopkins-cockroach-migrants-denounced-united-nations-human-rights-commissioner?CMP=fb_gu

Why give racists more ink? Let me tell ye this boy (as Rab C. Nesbitt would say).

I got chucked out of Australia.Imagine being chucked out of a country you were quite happily living in?

I was married to an Australian citizen. She was married to me and she was allowed to live in London. No questions asked. Due to good immigration policy. I had wife at the time and a then we went to Australia. We fell out. Green card? - fucking joking - having been together for seven years. There was even a time when she wasn't even allowed into England from France. And there was even many a time being separated in airports. Next..girlfriend, because she has a grandparents is allowed to live here in the UK as long as she wants? I think the points system is reasonable for staying in a country...but not for effectively deportation. I didn't get arrested. I even worked as a registered psychiatric nurse in a prison hospital for the state of NSW.

Try work that one out?

Now that is unfair.

And I made the OZ points system. Still could.

Why chuck me out of their country just because I fell out with my wife?
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 18:21
The tough immigration laws between UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and even the U.S. have annoyed me for a long time. It seems that the experience of living and working in other English speaking countries can only be of huge mutual benefit.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Apr 26, 2015, 18:36
I'm quite envious of your "hammocking wild in and around ancient downland, woodland and valleys". A lovely way of keeping one's head together and a good perspective on the world.
Reminded me of my student days, walking for hundreds of miles in France either sleeping wild in the country or using the wonderful network of the Gite d'Etapes along the trail. A while back I watched a great little film on Netflix called "The Way" with Martin Sheen, which although quite melancholy, brought that sense of freedom back to me.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index