Protest ?

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Protest ?
Oct 20, 2010, 10:20
Society is under attack and we are in grave danger. There has been nothing as insidious and potentially catastrophic in living memory. Class war is blatantly being waged by a minority of over priviledged princelings and their principle lacking flunkies whos sold their shameless arses for a seat. A Civil war was once waged under similar conditions. Were the Poll Tax riots a dream ? Our European neighbours are good at kicking up a fuss. What the fuck is going on here ? Will we justifiably retaliate at last before it's too late, or will we just let centuries of Empirical indoctrination dictate the course of events?

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/mark-steel/mark-steel-shamed-by-our-spirit-of-protest-2111258.html
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Re: Protest ?
Oct 20, 2010, 10:27
Great article.

"How did we become so subservient and docile? It's as if the rest of Europe is preparing for mass protest and our slogan is, "I can't make it I'm afraid, I've got a tummy ache."

Splendid. Why aren't we out on the streets? My guess is fear, pure and simple. Fear of losing our precious jobs, fear of a violent police reaction with no possibility of redress, just plain fear.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 20, 2010, 10:32
I honestly think that the British people as a whole have been thoroughly and successfully indoctrinated into subservience over many centuries. Hence 'doing your bit', 'respecting your betters', 'musn't grumble' and all that shite. Poor sods who were skilfully manipulated into feeling proud of being an utterly dispensable/expendable voiceless drone in the mighty machine that was The Empire.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Oct 20, 2010, 10:34
The Sea Cat wrote:
I honestly think that the British people as a whole have been thoroughly and successfully indoctrinated into subservience over many centuries. Hence 'doing your bit', 'respecting your betters', 'musn't grumble' and all that shite. Poor sods who were skilfully manipulated into feeling proud of being an utterly dispensable/expendable voiceless drone in the mighty machine that was The Empire.

Yup, after all, "we're all in it together".

And that other mantra "it is all the fault of the previous administration" which, translated, actually means "the bankers did it, but we'll sweep that under the carpet".
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 20, 2010, 10:43
Oct 20, 2010, 10:43
Whilst the biggest thieves and fraudsters like Philip Green etc. go unchallenged, and Smeagol Laws gets his job back, regardless of nicking forty grand.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Oct 20, 2010, 12:24
Maybe Scotland should leave, I hope so!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 20, 2010, 12:32
Oct 20, 2010, 12:32
I'd want full independence if I was Scottish or Welsh. I've got dual citizenship, luckily (UK/Eire), so that's my safety net. I never travel on my UK passport. Not a good idea if you get into a tight spot with a Kalashnikov.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Oct 20, 2010, 12:38
Yup I know that feeling very well!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Oct 20, 2010, 14:24
Oct 20, 2010, 12:38
George Orwell was writing about this 70 years ago.

http://orwell.ru/library/essays/lion/english/e_eye

He reckons it's part of the national character, and that the other side of the coin is that we will never swallow the kind of rhetoric that brought fascists to power in other parts of Europe.

The collapse of the BNP being a case in point.

Billy Bragg wrote:
Sweet moderation, heart of this nation...
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 20, 2010, 12:53
Oct 20, 2010, 12:45
Thanks for that article. I'll definitely read it in full, and that's a very good point about not tolerating fascism due to this chracteristic. The way things seem to be heading, if the Tories get everything their way, let's hope that that very intolerance may be their nemesis.

EDIT: rumour has it that they will press ahead with the Labour hatched/debunked due-to-public-disapproval Big Brother database re. all personal communications which they were so 'against', pre-election. That old convenient Terrorist Threat bullshit again.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index