U-Know has gotten quite boring

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: U-Know has gotten quite boring
Aug 18, 2010, 15:00
PMM wrote:
It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it.

People started taking the piss out of Geoffrey Prime because he was an offensive prick, not because he had a different viewpoint. He was treated courteously, and given every opportunity to defend his point of view, and time after time he chose to insult and belittle others instead.

Geoffrey seems now to be trying to portray himself as a victim.

He's not been banned. He's not been forced off the site. He's been called on his behaviour and has chosen to leave.

That was my point with this thread. So we've got jshell and pooley as counter-opinions here (amongst others) but at least they don't grandstand or make a spectacle of themselves, etc. I'm just tired of every thread being hijacked and centered around Geoffrey, same reason I was against Quexalcote.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 18, 2010, 15:06
sanshee wrote:
F.W.I.W, the mud slinging and name calling did go both ways. Look over many of the posts who had a go at g_p, and you'll see. You don't even have to scroll down this thread too much.

Only difference is 'the others' tended not to support Thatch, etc, so seems it's more 'tolerable' behaviour?

F.W.I.A.W, I think there would be a void without him!

If he was so damned boring,or even that easy to ignore, he wouldn't have gotten such a slew of responses!

I thought he was deliberately provocative, but it was damned entertaining too.

It is after all only the internet, and some of us are doing this sitting in our underpants waiting for the iron to heat up, and the like.

Yes, it has gotten boring now, maybe.

x

I gave Geoffrey a benefit of a doubt by saying pretty much nothing until I wrote this thread. I'm not saying those egging him on don't deserve part of the blame. I just got sick of seeing Geoffrey's name on U-Know to the point of it being a total waste of my time. Became less about the issues and more about Geoffrey.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Aug 18, 2010, 15:11
Lawrence wrote:
That was my point with this thread. So we've got jshell and pooley as counter-opinions here (amongst others) but at least they don't grandstand or make a spectacle of themselves, etc. I'm just tired of every thread being hijacked and centered around Geoffrey, same reason I was against Quexalcote.

While I agree with you in principle on this, Lawrence, that Quexalcote guy hasn't been here for about 6 years. Yet you've still clearly got a chip on your shoulder about him. Let it go, man. Carrying grudges like that just ain't good for the soul.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 18, 2010, 15:21
Well that wasn't my point, raising up Quex again. I rarely talk about him anymore. It's just I'm fleetingly mentioning him as a comparison to Geoffrey...
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Aug 18, 2010, 16:07
TBH, and huh, there's every chance he's reading some of this (I would!)- I think some of what he sez was rather 'disingenuous', and more about taking a deliberate anti-stance, to the point of tedium, maybe.

However, it was at least a unique way to extract debate, as opposed to posting something no one would ever disagree with, only to froth in agreement about it forever more.

As I sez, not many chose to ingore him. And we all know that's the best way to make something go away.

Unless, that's not what was really wanted anyway?

Now, I'm not saying what he did wasn't annoying (I think we've all done that), I just don't get the desire to see him off entirely.

Anyways, I'm ranting now, but you do know none of it is ever meant in harm:-)

x
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Aug 18, 2010, 16:21
About to answer this Grufty then read Shanshee's post which pretty much summed up my opinion. As I stated in my previous post (whilst I've been an HHer for many years (indeed meeting many in person FWIW)) I'm an infrequent poster on this section - finding that many posters are somewhat entrenched in their positions and their 'participation' in genuine debate somewhat 'artificial' - however from what I saw GPrime got as much as he gave (and I stress "from what I saw")

You cite a recent climate change thread - frankly I got as far as seeing it highjacked by a few individuals locked in a battle to see who could throw the most obscure research htmls at each - whilst having no intention whatsoever to reconsider their positions.

FWIW whilst consisdering myself firmly on the left of the political spectrum I don't consider it abhorrent to have a debate (for example) on different ways of using social housing to give most benefit to those in need (the "now they want your house thread" - apologies Shanshee - I know you've strong views on this one) but frankly seeing how anyone who dares to veer from the leftist herd (generally) gets treated put me off.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Aug 18, 2010, 16:24
sanshee wrote:
However, it was at least a unique way to extract debate, as opposed to posting something no one would ever disagree with, only to froth in agreement about it forever more.

Really? I don't think he ever got as far as debate! Simply slagging off someone else's point of view isn't the most satisfying form of "debate" is it? As for "frothing in agreement", just because you hold similar views to other people doesn't mean to say you can't debate the finer points, or hone your arguments.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Aug 18, 2010, 16:29
See, you're coming across as if you're on one side and I'm on the other.

That tends to be the case here, for some reason!

I think it's an 'internet thing'.

Oh, and quoting just a part of what I said kind of misses the context!

Now I feel a mega dissection coming on...from somewhere...

Also, did you choose to ignore him?

That was my main point!

x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Aug 18, 2010, 16:35
sanshee wrote:
See, you're coming across as if you're on one side and I'm on the other.

That tends to be the case here, for some reason!

I think it's an 'internet thing'.

Oh, and quoting just a part of what I said kind of misses the context!

Now I feel a mega dissection coming on...from somewhere...

Also, did you choose to ignore him?

That was my main point!

x

There, I've quoted your whole post this time. I don't think it helps much! I tend to quote the bits that I want to take issue with, otherwise it all gets too clouded.

In this case I think we probably are on different sides - I saw no merit in Mr Prime whatsover, particularly as some kind of "opposition in debate". Did I choose to ignore him? Very difficult to ignore someone being continually obnoxious.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2010, 16:42
Aug 18, 2010, 16:41
See, all black and white and you over there me over here.

Sigh.

BTW the best way in the world to cloud something is to take it out of context.

Anways, off to drool about that XO marmite now.

x
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index