41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Jul 21, 2010, 20:17
Re: Government popularity slumps
Jul 21, 2010, 20:16
What I fear with the big society (jesus, how 'lame' does that sound?) is it does pave the way for slicing away until there's almost nowt left of our great 'institutional' public services no more. And here's how it could 'work'.

Now, if they had a choice, more than half of them round here wouldn't care if the library went.

I mean libraries and a bit of self-improvement via the curious mind, that ain't 'necessary', is it?

So the council might just propose that yes, we'll support all that but it might mean council tax hikes, for one.

Unless of course, you 'do it yerselves'!

No one will engage with either, so the council can legitimately say, there was no call for it in the end.

So end of library.

Damn.

I heard a lady on PM the other day who's involved in the voluntary sector at a high level, and she seemed enthusiastic about this 'big society' (or BS for short).

Now I do a bit of volunteering re class work, and I love it, and I do feel appreciated and all the better.

I agree with said lady that more people would benefit from mucking in a bit, but I don't think she was considering how pernicious this whole idea is.

I mean if Cameron was simply promoting voluntary work as a nice community booster, that'd be fine.

But he's not. It's worse than that Jim, 'sfar as I can see.

:-/

x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index