Government popularity slumps

41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2010, 15:15
Re: Government popularity slumps
Jul 21, 2010, 16:24
It doesn't even feel like we have a Government at the moment. I can't look at any of 'em and take it seriously. Vince Cable has been a massive disappointment I must say. Dunno how long he'll stick it in there if he's got any of that fabled good sense.

Such a mistake for the LibDems throwing their lot in with Call Me Dave's mob.

And, gah!, the unveiling of the "BIG SOCIETY" initiative. Laugh or cry?

On paper it all looks very nice and cosy - communities helping each other, jolly Brits unblocking each others drains with a dab of Dunkirk spirit. And it's got a pretty logo too!

But, what a load of cod cack in reality. Leave us not forget, Call Me Dave is a PR man through and through. That's his background, that's who he is and what he does. For all his denouncing of New Labour spin (fair enough), he is a hollow man of slogans and presentations.

"We're all in this together" he cheerfully cries! Well, Call Me Dave, with an estimated £30 000 000 in the bank, I reckon some of us are a bit more 'in it' than others. Don't expect to see you or Georgy Porgy down the remainders shelves at Tescos.

"Big Society", or the rebranding of "No Such Thing As", is nothing more than a giant training-scheme style initiative to get stuff done for nowt. Interesting on the news yesterday that reporters went to different parts of the country to vox pop Joe & Joesephine public on what they thought. In affluent areas (Windsor was one) they all thought it a jolly good wheeze. In poorer areas the idea seemed less popular. It's also pretty patronising to those poorer areas that have been doing their best to run community projects and initiatives for years already with little or no Government support.

It's interesting that many traditional Tory supporters are of the "We pay our taxes for..." type and now the ConDems are asking them (and us) in essence, to do stuff that..er...they pay their taxes for. Hmmm. Nice logo though.

In principle and on paper the idea of closer community ties is good, but when it's used by Call Me Dave, along with the concept of the noble volunteer, to sell us the supposedly edifying notion of being "in it together" that actually garnishes the reality of a scheme to shift fiscal resonsibility from Government and, fingers crossed boys, generate what amounts to a number of work-for-nothing schemes, then it's such a crock.

And all this, on the day that it's been revealed that Home Office employees will all receive substantial bonuses this year (not as much as would have been ear-marked in happier times though, the poor things), whilst the rest of the public sector faces mass redundancies and pay and pension freezes...

They just Don't Get IT, do they?!!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index