82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: State of confusion. another 30 billion
Nov 05, 2009, 18:03
supercat wrote:
You don't understand 'that' attitude, you mean you don't understand my attitude GJ, surely? :)

It's an extremely common attitude supercat. In fact, I suspect it's the majority view.

supercat wrote:
You will never find a perfect politician to vote for Jim unless you stand for election yourself.

Which is exactly why I don't consider myself a democrat. Modern representative democracy is all about satisfying the short-term desires of a population who have been manipulated by consumerist propaganda for generations. It is corrupt and inevitably results in policies that place the immediate wealth and comfort of people above the longterm good of the planet as a whole. It is fantastically destructive from an ecological and psychodynamic standpoint.

supercat wrote:
I stand by my comment that it annoys me that the people who shout and rant about whatever politician/Government are in power at any particular time are the very ones who talk the talk and don't walk the walk. I'd like everyone to have either a postal or an online voting system, walking to the polling stations in this day and age is outdated.

I have never failed to show up at the polling booth, but I have almost always (except in one or two very specific cases) spoilt my ballot.

When you vote for a politician you are -- both theoretically and practically -- giving them the right to speak for you on matters of policy. You are also legitimising the current systems of power which I find reprehensible in themselves. Voting only makes sense if the person you seek to have elected agrees with you on a broad range of vital issues (it doesn't have to be "perfect" agreement). However, if -- as is the case -- all of the choices involve delegating my voice to someone who (a) doesn't agree with me on the most fundamental of issues, and (b) wants to see me in prison, then I am a complete fool to vote.

supercat wrote:
I'm a Labour girl through and through but i would vote for any other party, and i'd spoil my vote if it meant i'd get the bnp (no capitals, not worthy) out of power.

But the modern labour party represents the slaughter of 100s of thousands of foreign nationals in an illegal war. It represents privatisation, bank bailouts, the internment of immigrants in Yarls Wood. It represents dawn raids on the homes of asylum seekers, the rights of the arms industry above the rights of war protesters. It represents industry and commerce above the environment. It represents big finance, big oil and very big social inequalities.

And you want to see those people back in power?

What, exactly, does it say to the likes of Mandelson, Brown and Miliband if you're still voting for them after two invasions, an economic collapse that funnelled billions away from the public and into the pockets of the banks? Because it seems to me that it says "oh yes, more of the same please!"

And no, I don't understand anyone who wants more of the same.

supercat wrote:
Now!!! don't get hoity toity i'm not in the mood for a verbal scrap. :D

Apologies if I come across as hoity toity. I'm just confused by those who can look at how the world is being run and say "oh it's largely fine, just needs a bit of tweaking here and there". Because that's not the world I see. I see a world hurtling towards ecological disaster thanks to those we have elected and the corporate power bases they facilitate.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index