opinions on last night's question time

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
red paeony
red paeony
184 posts

Re: opinions on last night's question time
Oct 23, 2009, 15:47
Yeah, but he's only allowed to wear that on a night out with the lads.

And for parent-teacher conferences.

;-D x
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 15:55
Interesting response here...

http://msnuktv.spaces.live.com/?GT1=61503
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 23, 2009, 16:20
Oct 23, 2009, 16:20
Moon Cat wrote:
Interesting response here...

http://msnuktv.spaces.live.com/?GT1=61503

"... Nick Griffin (white skin. But who knows what his heritage is? Does he?)."

Griffin is an Irish name with origins in Wales....oh the irony!

I thought it was my imagination at first, but it seems that Jack Straw really did seem awkward when questioned about immigration.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 18:16
I think Jack Straw is ona sticky wicket there cos the immigration dept aren't performing that well, or even if they have improved it wasn't that long ago they were declared "unfit for purpose" was it
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 18:57
ratcni01 wrote:
I think Jack Straw is ona sticky wicket there cos the immigration dept aren't performing that well, or even if they have improved it wasn't that long ago they were declared "unfit for purpose" was it

Yeah, maybe being a bit harsh on him as he did get quite vocal and almost heated against Griffin
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 23, 2009, 21:39
Looks like the saga may not be over yet...
Oct 23, 2009, 19:18
This is either going to make Griffin look like a pathetic feckless whinger, or legitimise him in the eyes of those who turn to fascism because they feel there is no voice for them in mainstream politics... or both.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20091023/tuk-bnp-leader-to-launch-bbc-complaint-dba1618.html
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Looks like the saga may nnot be over yet...
Oct 23, 2009, 19:22
He complains of being 'bullied'.... HA!

This is exactly the sort of self-pitying hypocrisy that the American right wing bawl about... they can dish it out but they can't take it.

What a sorry piece of shit.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 23, 2009, 22:05
Oct 23, 2009, 21:55
grufty jim wrote:
Overall though, I'm worried that the BBC set a terrible precedent last night. It'll be a long time before we know for sure, but why take the risk?

Why is it so hard for us to accept that a large number of people are consciously and actively bigoted and that drives their voting intentions?

The entirely foolish thing would be for us to believe that the policies of the BNP are only supported by football hooligans and social outcasts. A lot of people vote BNP today simply because Cameron's Tories have abandoned the people within their own ranks who would consider Griffin's worldview by and large perfectly resonable. We can't pretend those people do not exist or simply demonise them as some kind of political underclass.

We are not talking about a sudden rush of new converts to fascism magnetised by the newly minted charms of the BNP. These are not people who just saw the light from the far right. We have to take on board that many of our fellow Britons voted BNP because they are long term adherents to a set of policies that were once meat and drink to many rank and file Tories. Hence the strange silence from Cameron this week. He knows his own people. He can't piss them off more than he has already. On the other hand he can't throw his hat in Griffins ring and compete for the far right voter either. Tricky times for Dave and his power hungry chums.

Thing is since Thatcher's passing as PM we've forgotten what a real right wing Tory looks like.

So instead of wringing their hands what the Lib Dems and Labour should be doing is celebrating the fact that the BNP *only* got 1m votes in this economic and social climate. Surely it is to this country's great credit that we have such a small percentage of voters actively seeking a solution from a far right party when compared with much of the rest of Europe? Especially when the Tories are drifting to the centre. That's the point I wanted the other panelists to make but somehow they managed to drop the ball.

And don't think that Labour aren't wondering whether a strong far right vote might let Labout hang on to some seats they would otherwise lose to Cameron.
Mr Altres
Mr Altres
140 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 23:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QAvkFS_cgk

Probably been posted already but this is closer to what he meant.

Brian
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 23:56
I liked that bit where his rage was barely contained. I think he did relatively well. Being of mixed background and having kids with dual/tripled heritage myself, when it actually comes down to a conversation (calm and collected style) with a racist I really struggle, because the sort of thing the BNP or anyone against mixed race relayionships (again another reason to deplore the term race) means I shouldn't exist and nor should my kids, thats a bit too close to the bone for me to remain entirely calm
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index