Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)
Oct 22, 2009, 23:34
You know, Ralph Nader was kept out of the debate process during the run up to the last two presidential elections in the US. Tho I don't think he stood a chance of winning, I thought it was cowardly of the people in charge to shun his participation. No doubt it had much to do with Nader's correct assessment of what is wrong with a political process that is driven by big money. What were they afraid of.... that voters might start thinking? Not that I think the BNP is out to make people think.... just the opposite... they DON'T want people to think, just react to their xenophobia.

Right wing blowhards get plenty of press here... the only thing that disturbs me, ultimately (besides their being so many stupid, venal people out there), is that in some markets there is little counterpoint to their exposure. This is the real challenge... how to make sure that for every fascist utterance there's someone arguing against it with facts and clear-headed moral authority.

The idiots out there are already listening to the Nick Griffins. What might be useful about bringing them to a wider audience is the chance to really sock it to 'em in a venue that isn't some partisan, private one where there is no counterpoint to their drivel.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Oct 22, 2009, 23:41
dodge one wrote:
I don't know what the fuss is all about. On Fox News over here, we have got 3 dicks in a row every single night spewing the same shit.

Glenn Beck
Bill O'reilly
Sean Hannitty

I just ignore the fucks. {And the network in it's entirety}

The problem with FOX News is that there's no counterpoint to those idiots... if you are a fan of Rush, Beck, O'Reilly, or Hannity, it's a pretty sure bet that their POV is ALL you get.

I say, drag these neofascists out in the open and let them try to stand on their own against some real intellectual and moral competitors.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 22, 2009, 23:50
Cut To Commercial !!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 22, 2009, 23:57
Oct 22, 2009, 23:56
Merrick wrote:
Jim Tones wrote:
If you watch the programme- does it mean you are a nazi?

Or does it just mean you can't get off the sofa and there's cack all else on?
http://enemiesofreason.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-to-watch-instead-of-question-time.html

Ha! very good, especially the description of Dimbledor

Truth is- I can't get off the sofa as I'm hooked into youtube, gmail, myspace, plus the constant stream of blogs featuring long forgotten experimental music for free download that always seems more palettable in the gushing headrush of write-ups and.....not forgetting.... this website!!

I'll read a book instead and see the results on the news :-I
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 00:07
it's shown later on bbc wales
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 03:23
Hi Sanshee,

A new right wing street casual mob, The Scottish Defence League are try ing to match their fascist English and Welsh friends. They will be trying to stage a march on Nov. 14th. Do not be kidded that they are just against Islamic militant activity, as they put it. The usual targets of the Irish, the Gay community, disabled etc. etc. are all to be included. Strange, I can't remember the Casuals being interested in politics! Sad really!

They do have this disturbing web site and it is full of right wing bile.

http://casualsunited.webs.com/sdl.htm
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 09:30
Think that went pretty well. Griffin looked like a cackling idiot.
Jack straw looked almost human next to him and Bonnie Greer was sassy & I think i'm in lurv.
Didn't Griffin think it was a bit of an xmas present though? Think I need to re-watch, shame i-player doesn't work over here.
might think it might turn up on Pirate Bay, but not sure if Pirate Bay still operating right.
stevo
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Oct 23, 2009, 11:18
Oct 23, 2009, 11:17
Stevo wrote:
Think that went pretty well. Griffin looked like a cackling idiot.
Jack straw looked almost human next to him and Bonnie Greer was sassy & I think i'm in lurv.
Didn't Griffin think it was a bit of an xmas present though? Think I need to re-watch, shame i-player doesn't work over here.
might think it might turn up on Pirate Bay, but not sure if Pirate Bay still operating right.
stevo

Before I saw it, I thought it may actually explode into one of those old US TV Geraldo Rivera Show type blow-outs.

Griffin was well and truly slammed down a few times.
I noticed that conservative 'baroness' Sayeeda Warsi, slithered out of her usual damning views on homosexuality, which I thought was a bit of a joke, I couldn't believe ol' Dimbledor after questioning her, he ended up not pushing it i.e. if you are pushing one bigot into the pit (even a more 'accepted' one), then push them all in.

Although, to Dimbledor's credit, he did mention uber-fascist Farrakhan in passing.

I found it strange how Jack Straw wouldn't (or couldn't) really comment properly on Immigration, even when goaded by members of the audience (of all races).

Chris Huhne just gives me shivers. I don't know what it is, I just think think he's lying in whatever he says, saying things just for 'effect' as it were-

So, yeah, all laughable except for Bonnie Greer.

Still, I suppose it wasn't a 'normal' edition of Question Time.

Has anyone thought though, does it mean that Nick Griffin will appear on QT again?

If he does, will it be in front of a West London audience again or a Bradford audience?
Which would probably be a different kind of show to say the least (i.e. more hostile)

The UK newspapers have had a ball with it all though, with one even stealing from ol' Billy Bragg with "Dedicated Swallower Of Fascism"
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 12:23
Yep. I was wary beforehand, as I wasn't sure that any of the panel would be incisive or articulate enough to expose his true colours, but he did indeed come out of it pretty badly - especially when all he could say when questioned about the Holocaust was "I don't have a conviction for Holocaust denial".
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 13:45
I listened to Question Time on Radio 5 driving back from Parkhead and thought that listening added to how stupid this man really is! But remember he is the public face of an evil beast, scratch the surface and then the real "nazis" will be found. I agree with most of the other comments but I'm worried that the BNP will claim they've been bullied, strange coming from a party of bullies, and will try to make inroads to the working class vote in the inner cities.

Radio 5 broadcast from Hull last nite, with Richard Bacon hosting, and they discussed the program. Representatives from each party including the BNP attended. During the showing of the program the BNP councillor, from Leeds, watched from another room. When asked if he hated Hitler, he said no and then tried to waffle out of it. Then an articulate lady phoned the show, explained how she'd done many good things etc., the BNP man agreed, then she said she was disabled. When pressed by Bacon, an awkward silence. Which goes to prove, give em enough rope and they'll hang themselves, which is why, reluctantly, we should give them air time. Their leader in Scotland, Gary Raikes, lives in the same town as myself, intelligent certainly not!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index