Dawkins seems a bit *confused* here

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Dawkins seems a bit *confused* here
Jun 29, 2009, 14:41
"an atheist who does the same thing is no better"

Quite. But my point was that he was also no worse.

Packing your child off to an Atheist Camp might quite rightly be considered wrong but how many million kids have to get up early and polish their shoes on a Sunday to hear the inarguable word of God?

In both cases it's not "inevitable" that parents do that, it's totally avoidable. Like you say, the right thing to do is

"Tell kids that there are people who believe and people who don't, and other people who honestly don't know, and the only right answer is the one that kids arrive at themselves after they've studied it long and hard and weighed all the facts and feelings about it."

How wrong and arrogant and abusive to take active steps to stamp an impressionable young mind with YOUR truth rather than nurturing it's ability to self-determine it's own truths.

In my day if you married a Catholic (which I did) you had to tell the priest you'd bring the kids up in the Faith else he wouldn't go ahead. That's abuse of the rights of the unborn in my book. Rather worse a crime than 3 weeks in the sun with Dawkins telling you there ain't no God. ;)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index