Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2009, 14:17
Re: The 'P' Word
Jan 23, 2009, 13:56
I'd have thought t'were obvious why it was offensive, cos it's always used in the context of a derogatory racist sentence. Think someone has already said that in this thread.

Edit : Damn interesting article, I remember the story too. Thing is, I personally have never heard the word used in a non racist sense, is it reclaimable ? Cos to me it never seemed to not have a negative connotation, and those who argue otherwise just seem to be being wilfully pedantic.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 14:44
stray wrote:
Thing is, I personally have never heard the word used in a non racist sense, is it reclaimable ? Cos to me it never seemed to not have a negative connotation, and those who argue otherwise just seem to be being wilfully pedantic.

I've always understood it to be an offensive term, but was generally confused as to why it was (if you get my drift).
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 14:45
Shelby Mustang wrote:
didn't read the article tj cos i'm busy trying to sort some shit out at home and am jumping on and off. but i'm slightly puzzled why one would be offended by being called 'clean'.

i find the P word offensive so i'm not doing the tory fuck thing i just wonder if you'd elucidate sir. ain't spake for zonks mate hope you and your family are rocking

Hiya Shelb- yeah all is fine! ;-)
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 15:13
Well done Abdul Rahim. Pakistanis aint scared of the word if you go to the Sparkhill, Small Heath and Alum Rock areas of Birmingham you will see shop signs `Paki supermarket, Pak fruit & veg and stuff like that It`s just a name. Racism to me means Nazi gas chambers, shallow graves in Srebrenitza, South African apartheid and burned bodies hanging from trees in Louisiana. I too work with sikh`s and they use the word not in a horrible way but just to describe where someone comes from. The same as describing a Bangladeshi or a Pole. It was always some whitey like me who would say `Hold on Manni or Pav you aint allowed to say that`.
Something that also pisses me off is the flippant use of the word `racist` to call someone a racist is a serious thing. This is racist thats racist. To be called a racist when someone isn`t is as bad as a racist word anyway.
Take a look at this home page and see how many times you see the word.http://paki.com/
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 15:28
People with roots in the Indian sub-continent, when physically attacked by those who don't like people with roots in the Indian sub-continent, may possibly disagree with you.

"Oi! Paki!" (smack)

"Paki bastard!" (smack)

"Fucking Paki!" (smack)

"Smelly Paki!" (smack)

Not a racist term? No, of course not.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 15:33
sorry stray don't bollock me for not seeing what you mean but i'm havin' a right thick day today. i'll figure it out at one minute past midnight when my knowledge of all things returns x
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 15:42
I`m well aware of that Jon. Same as Black,Paddy,Pole,Yank,Gypo or Chinky bastard. Horrible.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 15:45
hey no, I wasn't bollocking you or anyone I think. I was pretty much saying I find it an offensive word too, as its always been associated as such in my head. I was just wondering if it was reclaimable, as I can't think of hearing any positive usage for it in the past.

Personally, I don't feel that comfortable with Pole, Slav, mussie or any other kind of shortened term either myself (as I get visions of Daily Mail covers). Though, they bother me less so than the P word granted, if only cos I've also often heard people of that background using those words to describe themselves, I've not heard many Pakistanis use the word.

Though the links here, particularly Mercians are educating me on it.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 15:46
And here's the nub....

In any reasonable theoretical sense the word (as a diminutive of Pakistani) shouldn't be offensive.

However after decades of being spat out in the context/s list by VJ above I fear it has been sullied to the point where it will alway have a racist undertone.

I'm sure there are other example of words that have become 'no go' by dint of constant misuse - spastic is one that springs to mind - which I'm sure was purely a medical term at one point?
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Re: our racist prince
Jan 23, 2009, 18:50
Why are we even debating this? If a white person called someone a paki he's being racist, just like if he calls someone a nigger. The fact that the people who have traditionally been on the receiving end of it might use the words themselves is irrelevant. As is where the word comes from.

When this person has prevous and thinks that dressing as a Nazi is funny that really is the end of that. He's a cunt.

And calling the 'enemy' ragheads? Isn't he out there 'fighting' in order to liberate those who live under the Taliban? Aren't they 'ragheads' too? Bell-end.

Next topic - Katie Price is on the front of OK magazine this week saying 'Obama isn't fit' (dunno if that means 'fit to be president' or 'fit as in good looking'), 'bring back the death penalty' and best of all 'rapists should be raped as a punishment'.

WHAT?????? Who by? Other rapists? But won't they need raping? Where wil it end?

Richard Desmond, owner of the Express, feels that this is the kind of thing he wants on the front his publications. Cunt.

x
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index