(S)Hell Beach - Glengad

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dogma
19 posts

Re: (S)Hell Beach - Glengad
Aug 29, 2008, 16:03
Stevo wrote:
Yeah I was talking to Pat last weekend. He's having a hard time of it, needing to sleep on his boat out near the crabpots. Also worried about his sons who are there in his absence when he's busy elsewhere.
A lot of local fishermen took 20,000 Eur to get out of Shell's way for the duration of the pipelaying but it is thought that the area will cease to be usable for fishing if the pipe is layed. 20000Eur is not enough to replace longterm livelihood and is likely to create hassle if those people try to claim dole since they can't work their traditional jobs. Means tested etc.

One of the main things in this campaign is that Ireland does not benefit from this project. The private firms making up the conglomerate do. They will be selling what should be National Natural Resources back to the country at market prices. also all of the money they're investing in bringing the gas in is written off against tax concessions. Result Ireland is getting royally ripped off to put money in the pockets of already rich firms.
Stevo

So you're saying that the Irish Government won't be paid any royalties on the production of this gas? That would be strange. What about the local jobs created and the resultant income tax, are the salaries written off against tax?..I wouldn't think so. Also, the capital investment would be paid off within a short few years meaning that there wouldn't be any need for further tax breaks..... What you're saying doesn't quite ring true Steveo. Can you provide links so I can read up a little more on the financial implications.

It would be a very foolish government that didn't exploit it's own natural resources!

And, seriously, when has laying a single pipeline destroyed a whole fishing area? Unless it's a rocky area, I would have thought that a single dredged and backfilled trench would revert very quickly.

U-Know! Forum Index