13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Building momentum
Aug 05, 2008, 09:52
Stevo wrote:
This is an ongoing process that has already lasted 8 yearsif not longer. Outside involvement really started in '05 when the 1st Rossport solidarity Gathering occurred on the JUne Bank holiday weekend.
As I said in the earlier posting the camp that was in the dunes on the pipeline route got evicted. I wonder if there might be more momentum if this hadn't happened. Anyway we're hoping to build momentum now.

There is a comment on one of the Indymedia stories about how they're using the same fencing as was used in Tara. That was also to prevent people from accessing supposedly public areas.
There were a few people who had been involved in the original Rossport located Solidarity Camp who went over to set up the Tara camp. Dan from Cobh who'd been on the camp since the beginning was one of them.
Stevo

The same fencing used at Rath Lugh I presume, the same game is employed, in the Tara case it was archaeological destruction, Rossport is about environmental damage, really don't know much about the Shell affair but taking the Tara fight as a guideline....... it became historical cultural heritage that was at stake, so the wider forces of Unesco, the EU were employed in the defense of the landscape, and of course being Ireland, the forces of American/Irish loyalty to be contended with ;)
There is an interesting recent letter in the Irish Times from a body of archaeologists worldwide refuting the 'mammon' led Irish government,

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2008/0805/1217628550381.html

Maybe some accountability at Rossport will be called in, protest movement delays the start time, headlines of course makes people think.....

U-Know! Forum Index