Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Aug 01, 2008, 18:37
(S)Hell Beach - Glengad
Aug 01, 2008, 15:46
This is a story about the beach my boot is on in my current avatar. It is a naturally beautiful beach in North West Mayo that was featured in one of the alternative travel guides of about 3 years back. I became familiar with it when the Rossport solidarity Camp was placed in the Machars just inland of the beach.
It now has a dirty great fence on it courtesy of Shell
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/88505
in preparation for the high pressure gas pipeline that will be brought through it. This was the reason for the location of the camp since it lay directly on the course the pipeline took to cross over to the Estuary before going into Rossport.
The camp was forced to move at the end of last year because of its location. It was said that it was causing ecological damage, the Machar system is a rare phenomena. Grass growing on sand creating dunes.
Compared to the damage Shell are about to start doing the camp's footprint was negligible of course.

I really need to get myself together and sort out a Flickr of photos I took of the beach back when it was unsullied.
Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: (S)Hell Beach - Glengad
Aug 04, 2008, 16:53
Was just up there in the house the camp survivors moved into. Driving down the coast road and seeing the security fence on what was previously a beautiful site is really depressing.

Next Weekend sees a series of family fun days in an attempt to Reclaim The Beach http://www.indymedia.ie/article/88558

& people are wanted up there so any non Shell sympathetic visitors will be welcome.
Viewing the area now while it is still beautiful is breathtaking. I drove back into Rossport today and got reacquainted with views that future generations will be cheated of thanks to this project. looking forward to getting back up there next weekend.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 05, 2008, 08:18
Hi, get your photos together ;), you are about to go through what Tarasave and Tarawatch are doing right now against the motorway being driven through the Tara landscape. Two different cases but with similarities. I could use words like government hypocrisy, corruption, big corporate business, but the patterns becomes so obvious its a waste of words. Canute did'nt do any better holding the sea back but at least he made his point, thats what 'protest' does - draws the line in the sand, between weasel words and the ethical stance....
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 05, 2008, 08:40
This is an ongoing process that has already lasted 8 yearsif not longer. Outside involvement really started in '05 when the 1st Rossport solidarity Gathering occurred on the JUne Bank holiday weekend.
As I said in the earlier posting the camp that was in the dunes on the pipeline route got evicted. I wonder if there might be more momentum if this hadn't happened. Anyway we're hoping to build momentum now.

There is a comment on one of the Indymedia stories about how they're using the same fencing as was used in Tara. That was also to prevent people from accessing supposedly public areas.
There were a few people who had been involved in the original Rossport located Solidarity Camp who went over to set up the Tara camp. Dan from Cobh who'd been on the camp since the beginning was one of them.
Stevo
moss
moss
2897 posts

Building momentum
Aug 05, 2008, 09:52
Stevo wrote:
This is an ongoing process that has already lasted 8 yearsif not longer. Outside involvement really started in '05 when the 1st Rossport solidarity Gathering occurred on the JUne Bank holiday weekend.
As I said in the earlier posting the camp that was in the dunes on the pipeline route got evicted. I wonder if there might be more momentum if this hadn't happened. Anyway we're hoping to build momentum now.

There is a comment on one of the Indymedia stories about how they're using the same fencing as was used in Tara. That was also to prevent people from accessing supposedly public areas.
There were a few people who had been involved in the original Rossport located Solidarity Camp who went over to set up the Tara camp. Dan from Cobh who'd been on the camp since the beginning was one of them.
Stevo

The same fencing used at Rath Lugh I presume, the same game is employed, in the Tara case it was archaeological destruction, Rossport is about environmental damage, really don't know much about the Shell affair but taking the Tara fight as a guideline....... it became historical cultural heritage that was at stake, so the wider forces of Unesco, the EU were employed in the defense of the landscape, and of course being Ireland, the forces of American/Irish loyalty to be contended with ;)
There is an interesting recent letter in the Irish Times from a body of archaeologists worldwide refuting the 'mammon' led Irish government,

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2008/0805/1217628550381.html

Maybe some accountability at Rossport will be called in, protest movement delays the start time, headlines of course makes people think.....
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 28, 2008, 09:45
Another battle under way with Shell at Glengad,

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4798&Itemid=38

and don't think the bears in Alaska are going to escape Shell's rapacious appetite for destroying this last wilderness in their search for oil and gas....
Dogma
19 posts

Aug 28, 2008, 12:54
Stevo wrote:
This is a story about the beach my boot is on in my current avatar. It is a naturally beautiful beach in North West Mayo that was featured in one of the alternative travel guides of about 3 years back. I became familiar with it when the Rossport solidarity Camp was placed in the Machars just inland of the beach.
It now has a dirty great fence on it courtesy of Shell
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/88505
in preparation for the high pressure gas pipeline that will be brought through it. This was the reason for the location of the camp since it lay directly on the course the pipeline took to cross over to the Estuary before going into Rossport.
The camp was forced to move at the end of last year because of its location. It was said that it was causing ecological damage, the Machar system is a rare phenomena. Grass growing on sand creating dunes.
Compared to the damage Shell are about to start doing the camp's footprint was negligible of course.

I really need to get myself together and sort out a Flickr of photos I took of the beach back when it was unsullied.
Stevo

I'm not quite understanding this.

Shell tries to land a pipeline over a beach
Protestors damage the area with their camp and then complain when a fence is installed to keep them out, and out of the way of harm.
Then the protestors get all shitty about the damage.
Hypocrisy at work perhaps......?

What's the big deal really? Countries need resources, big oil companies exploit resources, economies survive on the revenue generated.....
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Aug 28, 2008, 14:26
Please give us a list of the names you've posted under previously.

Just for old times sake like.

x
Dogma
19 posts

Aug 29, 2008, 14:15
Vybik Jon wrote:
Please give us a list of the names you've posted under previously.

Just for old times sake like.

x

I quite overlooked this yesterday, you must be thinking of someone waay different!

I found this site through some of the strange posts and views I browsed over at Megalithic.com.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 29, 2008, 14:51
Yeah I was talking to Pat last weekend. He's having a hard time of it, needing to sleep on his boat out near the crabpots. Also worried about his sons who are there in his absence when he's busy elsewhere.
A lot of local fishermen took 20,000 Eur to get out of Shell's way for the duration of the pipelaying but it is thought that the area will cease to be usable for fishing if the pipe is layed. 20000Eur is not enough to replace longterm livelihood and is likely to create hassle if those people try to claim dole since they can't work their traditional jobs. Means tested etc.

One of the main things in this campaign is that Ireland does not benefit from this project. The private firms making up the conglomerate do. They will be selling what should be National Natural Resources back to the country at market prices. also all of the money they're investing in bringing the gas in is written off against tax concessions. Result Ireland is getting royally ripped off to put money in the pockets of already rich firms.
Stevo
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index