Apr 22, 2002, 17:41
If you had private health cover you could get that chip removed

:-)
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

Re: proud parents akshully
Apr 22, 2002, 17:43
> i blame the incomprehensible I went to.

And there are plenty of them around here, eh spirit?
spirit
182 posts

pleckgate
Apr 23, 2002, 09:53
nuff sed

xx spirit
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

Billinge
Apr 23, 2002, 10:19
nuff said too!

pixie
111 posts

Re: proud children
Apr 23, 2002, 22:16
i am in agreement with alot of whats been said...theres alot to be said both for and against education in schools...have to say pondered this thought before my kids went to mainstream school especially after a particularly nasty incident with my 5 year old sons reception teacher who insisted my son was incapable of taking instructions and must have been deaf...the fact that she made him sit alone in a corner and shouted at him constantly and the fact he despised her obviously had nothng to do with it.
i work in a secondary school supporting children with emotional and behavioural problems and although i see the benfits of it i cringe most of the time at the inane comments and pathetic rules that are inflicted on our young minds and creative futures....
saying that, the social skills can be seen as important and i do believe that i don't know if i could have done a better job...i think the balance is taking responsibilty for our youngsters when they are in school and working together..i listen to too many parents who palm their children off between the hours of 9-3 and moan about the amount of homework...education is seen by them as the schools responsibilty yet i believe its shared...the kids can learn so much from us as forward thinking parents / guardians / friends as well as the wealth of information offered by a , hopefully, good school. i hope i am getting the balance right with my two, educating at home and encouraging what i know to be 'flattened' by the education system yet encouraging the work / skils/ technology / educational opportunites that i know i can't offer....harmony..i hope!
oh, I know that Emma Restall-Orr home educates her son, so she might have a better set of words to say from that perspective.....e-mail via www.druidorder.demon.uk
hope my ramblings are of some help
education!education!education!
p
x
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Mutt and Jeff
Apr 24, 2002, 09:46
I can empathise with that story, I had a teacher who made me get a hearing test thinking I was deaf. The fact that she kept calling me "Chris" (i.e. my older brother's name) when trying to attract my attention obviously had nothing to do with it!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Apr 24, 2002, 11:55
Here's the tough part - engaging your child after her will and interest has been sucked out of her by a teacher that is there because it's a job they have to do.

I find so many teachers these days just want to get the day over with and seem to care little about classroom results. THIS IS NOT THEIR FAULT!

The fault here lies with the state and its shoddy funding policies. I would not perform well if my bosses treated me in the way that the gov't treats teachers. If I ain't rewarded in a way I see as being in proportion to my efforts then I ain't gonna perform. If I don't get the resources and incentives then I ain't gonna perform. I can't perform.

So, I suppose instead of keeping your kid out of the state school system you should wedge them firmly into it and take as active a role as possible, both at home and in school. When things start to slide do not moan at the school but at the education authorities and at the gov't.

Most of all next time you hear a politician shout "Education! Education! Education!" ..... GET IT IN WRITING! THRICE!
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Apr 27, 2002, 12:36
Thanks and sorry for the late reply, cancerboy, I've been busy.
There's some nice practical information there. Still, that Australian scene seems to be centred around the SAME aims as conventional education. I mean, what I am intrigued by is a totally different approach. Like, no need whatsoever for the current subjects. Cheers, matey. I appreciate it.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index