U-Know! Forum »
proud children

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

u can't beat yr brain for entertainment
Apr 27, 2002, 12:52
Thanks Pixie. Hey, I have been reading people's contributions but I still think there's something flawed in the system.

Firstly, one may decide to educate their kids so as to increase their chances of achieving MORE and BETTER academic results. That is not what I was referring to by 'home schooling'. I can believe this is done in the US as a way to make people MORE perfect, MORE smart, MORE competitive, etc - still, that is just out of the question.

What I am referring to is a total independence from the school curriculum, say, educate your kids in a different way. Let's take rural populations in remote areas of the world. They may not get 'educated' in the school sense of the word, but surely they get a much BETTER education than anyone else in the west. Anyone who has travelled to third world countries has witnessed this. Children are, to put it bluntly, just more full-on (not to say look happier).

Of one thing I am convinced. Kids need freedom and fresh air. A dull, grey-coloured brick school full of uptight cerebral teachers can only turn them nasty, cynical and melancholy. Send them Out There and they will always surprise you and be grateful to you. It's like they were also demanding for their right to 'party in the countryside' yet they do not understand or do not know how to tell you. They crave for fun, yet, they resort to the very techniques presented to them by adults in a modern world of computer games and gadgets.

And still, anyone who claims to get bored in the countryside is an inveterate Bore.

So, I was thinking, if one decides to keep their children away from the city and educate them without them having to learn maths and 'history' (ho hum) to what extent can the parents play with these limits so they are still accepted by society later on? Hard to tell, but I am sure I will find someone who's doing this already. Like, gipsies or travellers. Kids get a much better education from nature and REAL people around them than by suffering the daily routine of a 9-5 existence in dreary, individualistic (and sometimes dangerous) surroundings.

Only a thought, perhaps Utopian, but then again, human societies have been perfectly capable of this for millenia until recently.
pixie
111 posts

Re: u can't beat yr brain for entertainment
Apr 27, 2002, 13:19
''So, I was thinking, if one decides to keep their children away from the city and educate them without them having to learn maths and 'history' (ho hum) to what extent can the parents play with these limits so they are still accepted by society later on?'' .....good point......
hmmm, like your way of thinking but is it feasible? I would love to get the whole family away to another type of lifestyle, but I wonder how much rebellion would happen...I would hate to think that I had F****8 up my childs dream of becoming a vet / doctor / because i wanted them to live another way..
shit that sounds like a bitch..its not, just that you've got me pondering with this...
i actually think that for alot of kids the system fails them, they can't deal with the routine of it all, and come on its there to brainwash us into living the life they want us to,,,9-5, keep your head down, wear a tie etc...I hate all that and thats where the education system loses it for me...but i don't know of any workable compromise -able alternative that doesn't fail the child in some way or another. I live in a rural area and the school is actually very lenient and understanding about the children taking time off to help theri families who live off the land, farmers etc. but it makes me scream when they are force fed bull sh** ideals and crap rules that mean nothing except restriction and bondage....
ahhhh feel I could witter forever about this and still not make any sense...are we just losers whichever way we look at it? we can't bottle out of this society completely, its too far gone, I like to think that i have to exist within it but not accept it totally, change waht i can from within, change who i am, and shout loudly when its really bang out of order!!!!
and educate my children that its not all its cracked up to be, and not let the system get to them...they'll go their own path, their own way with a variety of choices that have been offered and encouraged over the years..
i love what you say about the countryside,....get them out wherever and whenever you can...the air is free, the scenery is amazing and awesome and truly inspiring!....even if children don't get off on the stones and sites as we do, the fact that they are with their family, walking, talking, COMMUNICATING , then they will find their own magic in the countryside,...my 11 year old will go off with his binoculars bird watching, whilst we visit sites and my 9 year old girl just runs around on an imaginary horse amusing herself!! its the togetherness that creates the magic, and you don't get that sitting in a materialistic coma watching t.v / playstation games / pop idol..
education from the family comes first!
cheers AQ, you've stimulated my head for this hazy afternoon
love and life
pixie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Apr 27, 2002, 13:40
U-fucking-ROCK!!

I understand this dilemma, and I guess it's this 'compromise' that needs to be sorted by people in their own various and ingenuous ways when they have kids. At the moment, however, kids are barely surviving only on ONE extreme - not even taking them to the land at weekends exceeds the 'virtual' reality of the trip. Like a trip to the stones, you drive there, check the rubble, take a pic and get back to your 9-5 rota.

Others would argue (including me at times) that the kids DO indeed need exposure to the 'filthy world' so as to survive later in the (ha!) 'real' world (lest they end up as new age wimps). But no-one can deny that the *essential* weapon that IS missing now should form the core of a kid's education, which would allow them to freak'n'roll as well as be able to cut through the crap, the inane and the emptiness in today's society. Isolation (as in sects, etc) is out of the question. Hence the creation of this 'dilemma'.

Needless to say, you've stimulated mine for the rest of the week with your excellent posting. Great speaking to you.

Love to you,
AQ
pixie
111 posts

Apr 28, 2002, 11:39
Love on ya, AQ...just when I needed some positivity...thank you!
I agree with what you're saying,
''Isolation (as in sects, etc) is out of the question. Hence the creation of this 'dilemma'.''
and the more I think of it the more of a dilemma it becomes.
I don't know if I mentioned in my last post, I work in a secondary school supporting kids with emotional / behavioural difficlties, as well as aspergers, autism, dyslexia etc...ther e is one year 7 boy who loves his art, but every week he loses half of his ONE lesson of art per week so that he can sit with another group of children who all 'failed' their SATS in junior school and are re-taking them again next month ( the government requires all 11 year olds to have reached level 4 or over.)......this childs mind is being destroyed, his creativity gauged out of him,, the only outlet he knows to make him feel good about himself in an already restricted environment, is being taken away because he 'didn't make the grade'...he probabley never will because of the difficulties (dyslexia, dyspraxia etc.), but then again, what a huge amount of LABELS that are stuck upon him at such an age.....so, whats happened to this small creative bud blossoming...he gets pulled out of art, his outlet, to be force fed english, of which he and the rest of the class (including me who has to support the teacher as well) don't take a blind bit of notice??? he has started to become destructive, disobedient, easily led by those street wise ones we all have met.....makes me want to scream.......
but although it gets me mad I know that from within I have made hopefully some, small changes, talking to students, just 'being' sometimes.....small but never the less, changes....
phew, I got all angry then....I guess I hate the labels and the limits and levels of crap that are imposed by faceless people in London or wherever, all for money etc. I know , also, that many teachers feel the same way but are restricted in what they can do, it's all league tables, percentages, money, funding......bollox! bondage..
I think that as long as you're aware and ready to set your children into that system, and as I have said before, the vast majority of parents 'trust' the system and leave the education to the teachers, which is dangerous. well you have to hope that your input at home within the family has given your children the open mindedness, the strength , the 'healthy cynicism', the love, the kindness, to survive the education system........if we're forward thinking enough...the hope is they will be too.....
thanks Aq, again, for stimulating my head and for your positive energy
Be Wise, Be Wild, Be Blessed...Walk in Peace and Find Your Stars....
p
x
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index