65 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Feb 22, 2008, 16:33
Re: Alcohol
Feb 22, 2008, 15:45
Jane wrote:

Information and real alternatives to getting smashed.

Getting pissed is not funny.

But getting smashed is fun for some, me included. I got three bottles of wine here for later tonight, can't wait. It feels nice. I have loads of other alternatives too (ie when I go for a walk, read etc). Tonight however I'm settling for what millions do every day with no problems at all.

I mean I don't smoke but do I have the right to ever 'advise' others not to. No! I wouldn't.
I think they'd find it a bit irritating, even though the whole smoking thing puzzles me.

I don't dispute the problems it causes, but you can never, never tar everyone wiht the same blimmin brush just coz some folks get out of their depth on the stuff.

Maybe alcohol isn't for you, good, you had the sense to figure it out - many don't. That is the problem here.

I have been a drinker since about 15, and because the stuff was all around me growing up there was no mystique, so I never felt any need to impress anyone. Young folk are being ostricised more and more IMO, used to be I'd go to a pub (at 15), hide in the corner, utterly behave myself and not act like a lunatic as happens alot now.

The idea of staunchly promoting alternatives is dangeroulsy close to censorship, and we all know the harm that can do.

Jeez, aren't all those rumours about parts of 'the continent' having little of these problems and how theire attutde to children experiencing wine etc testament to where we might be giong wrong?

EDIT: Pick uo on this if I may:
**More than 70% of the teenage girls I work with who get pregnant do so because they were pissed. Hangovers, unwanted sex and unplanned pregnancies are accepted as a natural hazard of alcohol abuse. I could go on but it’s too depressing**

Isn't that solely to do with lack of contraception? I've done pissed and contraception tonnes of times!
Hopefully the message to these girls isn't 'don't get drunk, coz you might get pregnant' but 'if you are going to ger drunk make sure either he covers up or you have some method going down yourself'. Isn't it as counter productive as simply saying 'pregnancy is the inevitable consequnece of sex, so don't do it'?

x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index