65 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2009, 01:09
Re: Alcohol
Jan 16, 2009, 01:08
Having been someone who's lived thru every ugly permutation of alcohol consumption, both on a level of observing it in others and in myself, I cannot agree with your basic premise more. And damn, Shelbs, I am proud of you, man, for kicking it.

But the elephant in the room is how prohibition creates criminality. The hunger for a fix, whatever the substance, feeds into horrific violence as ruthless people discover that they can make fortunes supplying others with what they crave. Columbia and Mexico and Afghanistan are all overrun with murderers that have exploited drug users in the west's appetites. What makes this dilemma possible is the illegality of their respective exports.

The best course of action, as far as I can see it, is to keep the profit motive low on drugs and alcohol by keeping them legal but heavily regulated. Fight them on a public health front. We already have a good model of this in the form of tobacco cessation... the rate of smoking has been drastically cut in the west thru taxation, restrictions on use, and steady public education.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index