Alcohol

65 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Re: Alcohol
Jan 20, 2009, 12:15
Interesting debate - not sure there's too much disagreement here though - those who have a problem with alcohol should get/be given help, education - those who don't should continue to enjoy alcohol.

I apologise if I'm reading to much into peoples posts here but those most staunchly advocating a ban seem to feel that alcohol took their lives somewhere that they didn't want to be? Me, I don't feel that way - I'm fairly sure that Mrs LD doesn't and I'd die before I did anything to compromise my children - oh but I do enjoy the odd drink and have even been known to get a little tipsy from time to time.

Vybik - you know it pains me to pick you up on anything you say HOWEVER...
Vybik Jon wrote:
I think it's because on a drug usage/harm to others comparison, alcohol is way out in front.

Whilst you're undoubtedly right in terms of absolute numbers of cases it has to be is related to usage*. I'd guess (and it is a guess) that 60 - 70% of those who drink alcohol do so without creating social problems, ending up in A&E etc, I'd imagine that only a very small % of heroin users can keep it a harmless recreation? Interesting debate as to where cannibis sits between these two poles - I'd image? Given this maths and the duty raised by alcohol it is even possible that the damage/treatments required are even self funding - although I'm going way out of my depth here - albeit by a alcohol consuming majority who will never have the need for these treatments?

Damn that Chateau Lafitte......

*A point I think you acknowledged but I feel has to mentioned with the statement above
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index