Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Jan 20, 2009, 13:22
Re: Alcohol
Jan 20, 2009, 13:11
Locodogz wrote:
I'd guess (and it is a guess) that 60 - 70% of those who drink alcohol do so without creating social problems, ending up in A&E etc, I'd imagine that only a very small % of heroin users can keep it a harmless recreation? Interesting debate as to where cannibis sits between these two poles - I'd image? Given this maths ...

For somebody guessing thats a very low number of non trouble making alcohol users you've plucked out of the air. You're saying that between 30-40% of alcohol users create social problems, thats an astonishingly high guess IMO. Personally, if I thought it was that high I'd go on a full on old school methodist 'ban satans liquid' protest. To then go on to say that you're sure the percentage of Heroin users causing social problems is probably higher, I wouldn't disagreee with that. But I also wouldn't say it without any data to back any of it up. Edit : You really shouldn't say 'given this maths' when you openly admit that you're plucking figures from the air, it aint maths then is it. Sorry, I'm a maths bloke you're unsettling me ;)

As for cannabis users causing social problems ? I strongly disagree there, if there are the percentage would be a hell of a lot lower than the figure you've picked for Alcohol. Well, as we're guessing here *twitch* I'd say its less than 1%. That is of course unless you consider giggling a lot in public and emptying the all night garage of all it's sugar based consumables social problems. :D

However, to talk about the dangers of alcohol I recently saw some figures of life expectancy in Russia. The chances of making it over the age of 65
Women : 79 % Men : 42%. Thats pretty horrifying, the main causes are alcohol and suicide. However the reasons why Russian men drink themselves to death are obviously going to be more to do with the society than the alcohol itself.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index