Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2009, 14:19
Re: Alcohol
Jan 16, 2009, 14:18
shanshee_allures wrote:
I am completely the opposite in that alcohol has only ever been positive for me. I use it for a bit of hedonismm that's all. Ban 'hedonism'? No way!But if it were the case that it was somehow determental for me I wouldn't use that as a reason to think everyone lese should join my way of how I fee about the stuff. It's as unfair as saying I love me booze, sod everyone else. I'd never do that. I am really (or maybe not really) surprised that alcohol gets a fair old battering here but 'drugs' don't. They cause their fair share of social and health problems too. It's all about the individual innit?

x

Hear hear. I'm all in favour of consumers being educated about the dangers of over-use, and for drink to be taxed and sold at a sensible price.

However, in the unlikely event of prohibition ever being introduced in this country, I'm emigrating to Belgium immediately.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2009, 14:20
Jan 16, 2009, 14:20
PMM wrote:
You and me both bud. Been free of the booze since August 07. Never thought I could face the world straight, but really it's been a walk in the park.

But don't you find being teetotal really boring? On the one occasion I tried giving up everything I just thought, "sod this, it's not worth it" after two weeks.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Shanshee
Jan 16, 2009, 14:43
You asked why alcohol gets such a battering on U-Know! when other drugs don't.

I tried to say that the unavoidable presence of alcohol in our lives makes it more obvious and the scale of it's use makes it a massively harmful drug. That's why I think it gets more of a battering.

I never made any suggestions as to who would be hurt more if a loved one was hurt by or lost to a drug.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Shanshee
Jan 16, 2009, 19:54
Vybik Jon wrote:
I tried to say that the unavoidable presence of alcohol in our lives makes it more obvious and the scale of it's use makes it a massively harmful drug. That's why I think it gets more of a battering.

Another huge point worth mentioning is the way the vast majority of our societies has a double standard about alcohol vs. other intoxicants. Any rational, objective person can see that it's just as, or more dangerous than a lot of illegal substances, and yet our criminal courts focus disproportionately on busting users EVEN WHEN they're use has no ill effect on society.
Booze-related violence, crime, etc. doesn't really address the booze, just the behavior of those using it. Which actually should be how the courts deal with all substances... but possession alone remains the factor by which a pot user is judged, for example.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Jan 16, 2009, 21:39
aaw shucks the viking i love you to
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Jan 16, 2009, 22:09
you see, i haven't found life at all monotonous. shit man, i feel like i've just started my life. i feel mentally stronger and physically stronger. the positive half full thing is almost constantly in play now and i'm relishing taking more work on board and responding to pressure to get jobs done and done on time.

i've stepped away from work at weekends and really enjoy my kids and the missus,. i spend so much time with them . shit, we all bicker at times and sometimes i've got to be dad but i love talking with my nippers. i'm building louis bike tomorrow with him and cam after i've taken them to football. this shit is great, it's great because i've now got real time to do it as opposed to drunk time half doing it before losing interest and just getting pissed out of my box.

it's horses for courses man but the reality is that there aren't as many people in control of their drink habit as there are people who think they're in control of their drink habit
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Jan 16, 2009, 22:40
it's the bollocks isn't it mate. nice one
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Jan 16, 2009, 22:43
i'm yet to find any negatives from knocking it on the head. even when me and bev have a good old ding dong row it's over and within months we're talking again !!!

i thought when i stopped that i'd probably drink again but now when i've got so much out of it i'll never touch another drop
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jan 16, 2009, 22:44
My stepson is a bad pisshead. He doesn't particularly want to be but doesn't yet know he can stop. I was talking to him a few weeks ago (he was a bit drunk at the time) and he couldn't believe that I wasn't saying "Today I will not drink". Coz to him it's a matter of will not to. To me it isn't. I've broken the connections. Rewired my brain in effect. I don't even think about it.

Sure, life can sometimes be pretty monotonous, but if you're getting drunk and doing the same stuff every night or weekend or whatever, that gets pretty samey too.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Jan 16, 2009, 22:55
yeah' getting bladdered and waking up with a hangover then spending the next day on the sofa with the remote control for the telly on your stomach ... or alternately waking up and downing a half bottle of red to just stay pissed is more fucking boring mate i can assure you. waking up with a fresh head and being able to get shit done rocks. infact i'd say that there aren't enough hours in the day.

and yeah' i don't need to drink anymore. like you pmm i just don't think about it.

i just wish that people that drank could see for themselves just how not boring being sober is. my great fear was that i'd end up being bored shitless.

fact is i was bored shitless when i was on the piss
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index