January drudion & I've had it with the Drude's xenophobic insinuations

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Re: January drudion & I've had it with the Drude's xenophobic insinuations
Jan 17, 2008, 15:49
Bonzo, like I said in reply to Wiggy....sigh...I think anyone that says women are only abused in Muslim countries would obviously be a jackass with their head lodged very firmly up their arse...but I don't think anyone round here would ever imply such a thing (and I haven't read every single reply, so if someone did...well you are a jackass with...er...you get it). But I just don't see how similar abuses in other cultures excuses or lessens the horror and indignity of abuses to women and children by some segments of Muslim society or even what point can really be made by bringing it up? I feel that acknowledging similar grievous injustice in other societies was somehow supposed to defend or take the heat off of the Muslim perpetrators of these crimes and for the life of me I cannot see why it would or why you think it should.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 16:48
Yr right PYM, we should be pissed off whenever and wherever we find this - it's just that I dont think that it's 100% to do with being a muslim, but as much or more to do with economics, development and "culture" that pre-dates the birth of Islam.
I think we probably agree, mostly. Peace from one "fine fellow" to another.=;o)
HI DEN
HI DEN
815 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 17:55
Phoenicians ?
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 17:57
Wiggy wrote:
Yr right PYM, we should be pissed off whenever and wherever we find this - it's just that I dont think that it's 100% to do with being a muslim, but as much or more to do with economics, development and "culture" that pre-dates the birth of Islam.
I think we probably agree, mostly. Peace from one "fine fellow" to another.=;o)

It's really not fair to cast a blanket of blame over any particular religion, or religion in general, for the woes of humankind. Some branches of the various faiths work overtime to make everyone look bad. Most Muslims are no more fanatical than most Christians... that is, they're just ordinary people who've been brought up with religion as a component of their culture.

It's usually the converts that are the worst, as they seem to feel they're on a mission and have to work overtime to promote their adopted faiths and make up for years of 'sin', or whatever.

And many fanatics are from dirt-poor backgrounds, as you say... nothing to lose, everything to gain (paradise). If you're a semiliterate poor kid from a slum in a third world country, and someone promises you an afterlife of sex and luxury, it's probably going to be a mighty difficult proposition to turn down.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Edited Jan 17, 2008, 18:56
Jan 17, 2008, 17:58
Just to put this month's Drudian and this string back into a little perspective... as Julain mentioned, while were goin' about our lives that poor depicted girl is gettin shagged rotten by that misrable old bastard. That's the point. U-Know!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 18:13
dodge one wrote:
Just to put this month's Drudian and this string back into a little perspective... as Julain mentioned, while were goin' about our lives that poor depicted girl is gettin shagged rotten by that misable old bastard. That's the point. U-Know!

It's distressing to think about. If you try to grasp how much suffering there is in the world as a whole you could go mad. For every atrocity we are informed of there's a million others even worse.

I guess what started this thread was perhaps a bit of weariness as to the amount of time the Druidion's have spent lately on the subject of Muslim immigrants. It does run the risk of looking a bit obsessive on JC's part, as if he's got nothing on his mind but that and music.

It's his site, after all; His soapbox, and so if one is upset by the dilemma of liking his music and not liking his politics, the best thing to do is probably to accept that he's a human being like anyone, with all the complex and sometimes contradictory baggage that being human entails, and get over it.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 18:27
U-GOT-THAT-RIGHT!
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 20:37
Islamic fundamentalism & the desire for the world to be one great big Islamic State is a scary thought for me personally & it scares me even more that therE are people out there everywhere who really want this to be.

But you are right dAVE none believers must not generalise & must be respectful to normal people who were born into Islam & who are just peace loving folk. hOWEVEr & I'm sorry to say.... the burka i find offensive to the female racE. dOES thIs make me a bad person?

Cuz all I want is.....well ..................woRLdPeaCe.
(don't want much e'h?)
8O(
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index