Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Nov 30, 2007, 17:31
Re: Incredible and terrible
Nov 30, 2007, 17:18
Moon Cat wrote:
It's insane. My question is regarding this issue, and I posit the same thing to fundeMENTALists of every creed when this kind of thing happens, is - if your faith is so fuckin' absolute and unshakeable, then why do you get flustered and go beserk at the slightest provocation. Seem's to me that if it takes so small a thing to rattle you then perhaps your faith ain't all its cracked up to be.

Ab-so-freakin'-lutely!

Thank you for adding that, for it's one of the things I've thought over the years as well.

The mullahs don't talk about it, and most 'polite' westerners don't talk about it, but it's very evident that the stricter branches of Islam in the 20th-21st century have a massive insecurity complex. The glory days of ancient Islam, with it's scientific and artistic superiority over the west, were eclipsed a long time ago with the rise of the enlightenment in Europe.

Feeling threatened and marginalized, the Islam of the 'street', with it's howling anger and thousand-year-old blood feud mentality, is incapable of reflecting on its shortcomings and addressing them. So instead, it turns outward, seeing insults and enemies everywhere.

Of course, the cynical exploitation, manipulation, and greed of some of us here in the west only exasperate the situation. I do pin a lot of the blame on the powermongers who have seized the middle east's resources as their own. But of course, at the end of the day, one must be responsible for one's own actions.

This bloody, angry, radical variety of Islam could be thought of as the bullied, self-hating kid that comes to school one day with a gun, seeking to destroy his tormentors (even the perceived ones, in his emotionally unbalanced mind) and himself in a blaze of twisted glory.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index