U-Know! Forum »
why do the tabloids get away with it?

17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Edited May 30, 2007, 16:36
Re: why do the tabloids get away with it?
May 30, 2007, 16:35
"Which, in turn, is less nauseating than the overkill coverage the whole thing's been getting. Front page pictures every day. There is no story (she's still missing...), so they've got to make up something.

The radio had a thing about how the parents are hoping to get an audience with the Pope. That was the story. No mention of why they want it or what the Pope might do."

Considering their faith, I imagine it will do a great deal for them. Obviously it won't bring their daughter bavk, ut if meeting a spiritual leader (in their faith, not mine BTW) gives them any small amount of comfort, how can anyone begrudge them it?
As for what Popey can do, anything that keeps this in the news, and shows people this girls face is worthwhile. I haven't got a problem with the media overkill in this case. If someone sees a picture and remembers something it is worthwhile.

"It's obviously awful for the parents, but this really isn't the most important thing happening. People are going missing every day. Dozens are being killed in Iraq alone, every day.

But we love the innocent littel girls, don't we? Madeleine, Holly and Jessica. The older and more maile you are, the less coverage you get. As Bill Hicks said, they hit a certain age and they're off your love list."

I know your not, but this seems a little hard hearted. I think with all the shit going on in the world, a good result (increasingly unlikely) in this case would make the sun shine a bit brighter on us. I know that people go missing everyday, and that dozens are being killed in Iraq everyday, but that shouldn't let you harden your heart towards individuals. It's individual cases that bring out the humanity in people and the best in groups of people. Once you stop caring about the one, and talk in groups i think you are in danger of just spouting facts and figures, and not caring about people.
I know this isn't you, from things you've said, and maybe as the father of a seven week old baby I'm feeling this one a bit more.. anyway

U-Know! Forum Index