Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited May 27, 2007, 23:21
why do the tabloids get away with it?
May 27, 2007, 14:28
http://tinyurl.com/2pfd38

I'm sickened, totally.

Saw this on Andrew Marr's show today diring the paper review bit, even old Tim Rice expressed how disgusted he is by this.
This woman's willing to exploit her own daughter through the sheer agony of the parents of this poor missing child in order to make some money for herself.
What a horrible, horrible person.
EDIT: At least that's how I see it - unless I'm missing the point.
x
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: why do the tabloids get away with it?
May 28, 2007, 07:42
why? because people love reading this sort of stuff. How? because the media is owned by people (or people wth links to people) who could do something about it but don't because it makes them lots of money to print this stuff.

If that what that bloke's wife is like, it's no wonder they split up 18 months ago is it. obviously she is so thick that she doesn't realise it says more about her than it does about his character. blinded by money no doubt.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

May 28, 2007, 08:07
Absoloutely.
x
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited May 29, 2007, 13:21
May 28, 2007, 12:39
Indeed. The media are at least as much to blame as Murat's ex-wife for exploiting both public sentiment and Madelaine McCann's parents in order to sell their scummy newspapers.

The Daily Mirror in particular have been milking this particular cash cow for all it's worth - if I ever needed to be confirmed in my atheism, that exploitative "Pray For Madeleine" headline that graced their front cover for a whole week would be all it took.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

May 28, 2007, 15:00
The woman's no more nauseating than the newspaper it's selling.

And they're spookily right - that little girl is blonde and small, just like the missing girl and quite unlike, er, millions of others.

Which, in turn, is less nauseating than the overkill coverage the whole thing's been getting. Front page pictures every day. There is no story (she's still missing...), so they've got to make up something.

The radio had a thing about how the parents are hoping to get an audience with the Pope. That was the story. No mention of why they want it or what the Pope might do.

i had a mass email from an otherwise intelligent friend saying 'please forward to everyone in your address book in case anyone knows anything', and about how it would 'vindicate the internet' if it worked.

It's obviously awful for the parents, but this really isn't the most important thing happening. People are going missing every day. Dozens are being killed in Iraq alone, every day.

But we love the innocent littel girls, don't we? Madeleine, Holly and Jessica. The older and more maile you are, the less coverage you get. As Bill Hicks said, they hit a certain age and they're off your love list.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

May 28, 2007, 16:42
Obviously we all would feel a bit happier if the wee mite was found safe and well - but I know what you mean.
Remember Hangar 17, all those proley kids dying through taking ecstacy?
Scum! Not worth a mention.
Leah Betts, on the other hand, was an English rose with educated parents from a lovely little cul de sac, which made her death more tragic in their eyes.
As for the pope bit, they obviously get some solace from it, but I'm jiggered if I understand how, as religion just baffles the crap outta me...
x
Bonzo the Cat
Bonzo the Cat
138 posts

May 29, 2007, 13:13
Merrick wrote:
It's obviously awful for the parents, but this really isn't the most important thing happening. People are going missing every day. Dozens are being killed in Iraq alone, every day.

But we love the innocent littel girls, don't we? Madeleine, Holly and Jessica. The older and more maile you are, the less coverage you get. As Bill Hicks said, they hit a certain age and they're off your love list.

Hm, yes, I think what this comes down to is the same as the fundamentalist anti-abortion stance which places the unborn, innocent life above the possible disaster for the life of the mother.

At the risk of souding as emotionally void as a Volcan, how on earth is it possible to put a young, inexperienced or even hardly existing life, a blank hard disk which only has potential, before an agent with a network full of experience?

I'm not saying it should be the reverse, but what really gets to me is that the only reason that people do so is because of religion and the notion of Sin. Therefore they always say that young life is "innocent". Well:
(a) Is older life "guilty" then? What is it that makes anything beyond child-state "not-innocent"? What kind of bollocks is that?
(b) Even supposing that this ridiculously should be the case, that does it mean that a "guilty" life is worth less than "innocent" life? Can we kill "guilty" then?

(a) and (b) are just religious poison. It's the premises that conservatives use to abhore abortion while at the same time endorsing the death penalty. The underlying idea that a person only accumulates evil or unworthiness and sin during a lifetime. I know we're not animals, but in nature the fit and experienced often come before the young and non-adult. In harsh circumstances, eskimo are known to have eaten the children.

Religion is poison, and the obsession with "innocent" life only gives us another example. Bastards!

arf!
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Edited May 30, 2007, 16:36
May 30, 2007, 16:35
"Which, in turn, is less nauseating than the overkill coverage the whole thing's been getting. Front page pictures every day. There is no story (she's still missing...), so they've got to make up something.

The radio had a thing about how the parents are hoping to get an audience with the Pope. That was the story. No mention of why they want it or what the Pope might do."

Considering their faith, I imagine it will do a great deal for them. Obviously it won't bring their daughter bavk, ut if meeting a spiritual leader (in their faith, not mine BTW) gives them any small amount of comfort, how can anyone begrudge them it?
As for what Popey can do, anything that keeps this in the news, and shows people this girls face is worthwhile. I haven't got a problem with the media overkill in this case. If someone sees a picture and remembers something it is worthwhile.

"It's obviously awful for the parents, but this really isn't the most important thing happening. People are going missing every day. Dozens are being killed in Iraq alone, every day.

But we love the innocent littel girls, don't we? Madeleine, Holly and Jessica. The older and more maile you are, the less coverage you get. As Bill Hicks said, they hit a certain age and they're off your love list."

I know your not, but this seems a little hard hearted. I think with all the shit going on in the world, a good result (increasingly unlikely) in this case would make the sun shine a bit brighter on us. I know that people go missing everyday, and that dozens are being killed in Iraq everyday, but that shouldn't let you harden your heart towards individuals. It's individual cases that bring out the humanity in people and the best in groups of people. Once you stop caring about the one, and talk in groups i think you are in danger of just spouting facts and figures, and not caring about people.
I know this isn't you, from things you've said, and maybe as the father of a seven week old baby I'm feeling this one a bit more.. anyway
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

May 30, 2007, 16:45
pooley wrote:

I know that people go missing everyday, and that dozens are being killed in Iraq everyday, but that shouldn't let you harden your heart towards individuals. Once you stop caring about the one, and talk in groups i think you are in danger of just spouting facts.

Well said. My daughter's 3 and a half now, and sometimes I find myself stupidly looking at her and thinking 'Christ, what if this was me?'

Whenever I see the holplessness in the mother's face and hear the dad holding it all together it brings a lump to my throat. An enduring image yes, just like one I saw of an Iraqi child in a hospital bed crying with shrapnel wounds in his side. Of course it's natural to feel differently to that we can personalise than to something that appears more 'abstract', something yo can't put a face to, but we know there's as much pain involved for the individuals, but where do we start?

Of course how the tabloids treat these incidents is another thing, and no, I never confuse the two.

x
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

May 30, 2007, 17:19
pooley wrote:
Considering their faith, I imagine it will do a great deal for them. Obviously it won't bring their daughter bavk, ut if meeting a spiritual leader (in their faith, not mine BTW) gives them any small amount of comfort, how can anyone begrudge them it?

Ah! I presume I was meant to already know they were Catholics!

It may well be my error. I don't watch much TV and occasionally it catches me out (the number of billboards that are utterly baffling if you haven't seen the TV ad tie-in). If the TV coverage has made much of the Catholic thing then it all makes sense now.

The radio didn't mention it at all, so I presumed he was sort of meant to be actually doing something, like when they got Gordon Brown to ring up Portuguese authorities.

pooley wrote:
I haven't got a problem with the media overkill in this case. If someone sees a picture and remembers something it is worthwhile.

You think there might be someone who hasn't seen the story yet?

pooley wrote:
It's individual cases that bring out the humanity in people and the best in groups of people. Once you stop caring about the one, and talk in groups i think you are in danger of just spouting facts and figures, and not caring about people.

Very good point very well made.

But it just nauseates me how it's always pretty white girls. That bias is inexcusable and it angers me. Even before the appalling syrupy manipulation of emotions that'd shame the conclusion of a Steve Martin movie.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index