£25 for fourbyfours in London

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Brother Johnno
Brother Johnno
428 posts

Re: £25 for fourbyfours in London
Nov 17, 2006, 18:04
Oh well, I guess i'll have to get a big rucksack and cycle all over London carrying out emergency gas work. I'm a wanker for driving a jeep and i'll be an even bigger wanker when I don't arrive at the old lady's house whose boiler is producing Carbon Monoxide and polluting her and the environment. At least i'll feel better about the planet I guess. I'll say no more on this subject I think as just like many topics discussed there is no solution to it. One final point however is that the TFL congestion charge is surely that - A charge to discourage drivers from entering London to prevent congestion! So is the car alongside me, an electric 'G-Wizz' non-charge payer, not congesting London's roads?
Bjx
p.s.
love to hear Julian 4x4 Cope's angle on the issue!
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 19:20
I agree, sort of. But perhaps you could be offered some dispensation as could doctors, nurses or whoever else drives these biggies out of neccessity like yourself.
Some sort of registration?
I think it's a rather cynical move by the government anyway to rake in more revenue, and for that, they can shove it. They'll still allow the sale of the bloody things, won't they?
They refuse to do their part, so there they go, offsetting again.
I'm sure that the amount of smaller cars swzzing around the place more than triple the effects of these gas guzzlers anyway, as there are far, far more of them.
I'm hardly in a car in my life, I actually find them dead duff, but I also recognise the practicalities.
Great avatar by the way. Classic snap.
x
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 19:59
What about the Toyota Hilux? They're good at off-roading surely otherwise they wouldn't be the favoured vehicle of the Taliban! ;-)
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 20:28
what do they know?warmongering fanatical evil bastards
silogut
silogut
432 posts

Edited Nov 18, 2006, 14:43
Nov 18, 2006, 14:08
yep ageed I would like to hear from Cope on this:- whom I have seen driving a wacking great American pickup style 4x4 with huge tyres. How does he square that with great songs like 'Drive she said' etc? I am not being over critical here as my job involves a fair amount of flying so I have a larger than average carbon footprint but I do try to avoid driving my car as much as possible and cycle/walk to work instead. We are all responsible for this but governments need to take the lead. They need to tackle the utilities as I know we still have alot of coal fired power stations chucking out shit into the atmosphere. The first thing they could do is to nationalise them as nothing is going to get sorted out when left to private intiatives.
silogut
silogut
432 posts

Edited Nov 18, 2006, 14:41
Nov 18, 2006, 14:40
Daminxa wrote:
Yeah that bugs me too; regardless of what people drive I think it's absolutely pathetic to drive to the chip shop or drive the kids to school when everyone would benefit from the walk (and yes obviously if the school is three miles away that might be asking a bit much!) As for driving in a city like London, which is overrun by tubes, busses and trains there is no excuse to drive in the city centre at all.

Absolutely. What we have is a total misuse of energy problem and I am sure that is how this period we are living through well be perceived in the history books. Driving everywhere not only destroys the environment it affects our bodies and minds. The rise of obesity being a case in point:- folk stuff down artificially cheap/bad food and yet don't burn it off because they never even walk down the street. I have lost 2 stone in the last year cos I got out and walked/cycled/windsurfed at the weekends and feel a whole lot happier for it
Brother Johnno
Brother Johnno
428 posts

Nov 18, 2006, 17:20
Totallly agree! As I think I said, it's just the authorities looking for a social group who seem to be doing financially very well, i.e. 'The Chelsea school - run yummy mummys', and targetting them for more easy revenue. If you live in London at the moment you are just being screwed in every way possible by Ken and his crackpots. If he wanted to do something to ease congestion and help Londoners he should get all the eastern european cars off the streets as I'm pretty sure they pay no road tax, have no British insurance, pay no congestion charge, and generally operate outside of any of our motoring laws. Mind you, I guess that's me shifting the argument with a racist statement? I'm off before the avalanche begins...
BJx
p.s.
from what I remember, JC justifies his transport much like myself, he needs it for his equipment whilst carrying out his field work.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 18, 2006, 20:06
Indeed, walking is the KING of exercise (imho!) One of the reasons I don't drive my kids to school is that I want to encourage them to walk. I always walked to school and though I was never very sporty or competitive I was always relatively fit and healthy, cos back in the day we weren't DRIVEN to school eh? It's a social activity, a keep fit activity and a mental well-being activity! (AND it's free!)
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 18, 2006, 20:09
Well they know how to survive in mountainous terrain which no other army can even penetrate! Please don't think I'm in any way condoning them or their activities; but I did hear their vehicle of choice was the Hilux pickup cos it was the only vehicle that could cope with the terrain. Bet Toyota are well proud!
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 18, 2006, 20:14
Yes he said that at that Brighton gig a couple of years ago; he uses it to carry stuff and he says that just cos he drives a 4x4 it doesn't mean he doesn't care about the environment just as meat eaters can feel compassion for animals. It's an argument I guess. But as has been said, it's not necessarily what you drive it's how you drive it. Using a landrover for short trips in heavy traffic on a twice daily basis is not a responsible use of a vehicle, whereas if you're carrying heavy equipment on long trips you're not going to want to drive a Mini!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index