Re: Oh Bollox
Nov 23, 2006, 23:23
It's a big Merc.

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/08/ml63amg06_01.jpg
Duncalexgeorge
4 posts

Re: £25 for fourbyfours in London
Nov 24, 2006, 00:38
Livingstone wants to introduce it in 2009 but he knows which side his bread is buttered on so there's no way it will happen. It will go up but not to £25.
At the end of the day this is more about open resentment towards brainwashed rich bastards who don't give a fuck is it not? Putting up the congestion charge will not change their 'fuck you, I'm great' attitude, so other than by banning cars full stop I don't see how this situation can change because car culture and status-seeking are two ills of the world that are closely enmeshed. Wish I had an answer because it bugs the shit out of me. Rant over.
XXX
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2006, 12:58
Nov 24, 2006, 12:57
If he's using something like a Toyota Rav 4 (2 litre petrol) he'll do far less damage to the envoirenment (sp) than if he drove a Transit or similar which weighs 50% more, uses more fuel and takes up more space.

What I feel is lacking in these discussion is some perspective. 4 x 4's are just an easy target. Why not pick on people carriers? They are hardly ever full when I see them and they weigh as much as most 4 x 4's. Why not pick on commercial vehicles? Oh, that's right, Ken already is!!

Vehicles in London fall into many different categories of use. It would make far more sense to me if those vehicles were taxed on a scale of necessity of purpose with the yuppy luxury car drivers (male or female) cruising round mainly on their own in 4 litre fuel drains coming right at the top end of the scale.

Rant over

(for the moment)
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 24, 2006, 14:14
The new congestion charge is, I think, on engine size rather than anything else so people carriers will get targeted too, not just 4x4 vehicles.

I agree it's all about the purpose of vehicle rather than what it is; there is a difference between driving the kids five minutes down the road in a bloody great landrover and driving round in a van because you're repairing water mains and such like and need to cart equipment around.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record though, I see no reason to drive a landrover in London. I see no reason to drive in London for domestic purposes, frankly, but if I DID I'd want something as small as possible because quite apart from anything else, it'd be a bloody nightmare parking a landrover!

And really, why would you need a vehicle designed for offroading in London? I know the roads there aren't THAT well maintained but they're not that bad are they?!
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Nov 24, 2006, 14:41
Daminxa wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record though, I see no reason to drive a landrover in London. I see no reason to drive in London for domestic purposes, frankly, but if I DID I'd want something as small as possible because quite apart from anything else, it'd be a bloody nightmare parking a landrover!

And really, why would you need a vehicle designed for offroading in London? I know the roads there aren't THAT well maintained but they're not that bad are they?!

I totally agree, but then 80% of '4x4's' are actually useless off road anyway. They are designed to serve a fashion trend rather than as a practical off-road vehicle. Anyone who needs a serious off-road vehicle will go for something like the Land-Rover (Discovery or Defender) or Toyota Land-Cruiser. However, there seems to be a trend, perhaps amongst shorter and less confident drivers, for driving these vehicles for their higher driving position and perception of increased personal safety.

If said people opt for something sensible like a RAV 4 or Freelander that is as light and cheap to run as a similar family car, I see no great objection. If however they choose a 4.6 litre BMW M5, Range Rover, 5 litre VW Toureg or similar, then I think they should be taxed off the planet.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 24, 2006, 15:26
Agreed; a 4 litre engine??!! Why would ANYONE want or NEED a 4 litre engine on a CAR?! Apart from anything else, you'd have to be a millionaire to afford the fuel!
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Nov 25, 2006, 06:30
well tha's yer workin' fackin' motor innit, no air condishunnin just a cracked windscreen, ton of ballast on the back 'arf a dozen bags o' dust, six 3 metre lengths of 4x2 prepared and a length o' six inch duct.
get the fuckin' shift in, not the kids in nattamean?
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index