£25 for fourbyfours in London

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Re: £25 for fourbyfours in London
Nov 17, 2006, 09:36
Why does your vehicle need 4x4 transmission on London tarmac? The most energy efficient way of powering a vehicle is with one pair of wheels driving the car either front or rear.having an other set of drive shafts,difs,props and extra gearbox stuff just increases the friction and makes the whole thing more inefficient
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 09:53
I think the £25 charge applies drivers of all vehicles with engines 2.0l and above, so yes - even a Ford Mondeo will have to pay. I don't believe it has anything to do with whether or not it's a 4x4.

I do wonder though if it applies to all works vehicles, like vans and stuff that are sent round London to repair water mains and do roadworks and gas supply repairs and all the rest of it.

Now I'm not suggesting you turn up to London with all your gear on the train, but I stand by what I say in that people who drive to work who COULD get the train deserve everything they get with the congestion charges. There is no need to drive round London with the public transport that's available there and why would anyone want to with the parking fees, quite apart from the congestion charge?
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 09:54
Oh is that right? So if you keep your vehicle in 2 wheel drive mode you're not using so much fuel?
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 10:00
I wouldn`t think so cause the driving wheels still have to turn all that transmission unless you disengage at the wheels..
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 10:37
No, you only get charged if you cross the line. So, if you're already inside the boundary...
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 11:37
did you see the Katherine Tate show last night? there was a funny sketch in it about an upper class mother and her two toffee nosed children being distraught because the 4x4 had to go in for a service.

what the fuck do these people want them for? they guzzle fuel, take up so much room when parked, can't be any safer than a family car these days and if you're that unsure about your driving that you need to be surrounded by two and a half tonnes of steel then you shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel in the first place.

Oh' yeah' and they're shit off road, and do you know how i know? because i've never ever seen one parked in a farmers yard.

the people that drive them make me sick and should be confronted from all ways but especially in their pockets. the bastards.

we took the kids swimming the other evening. All the cars were parked facing inwards except a BMW X5 which was parked length ways thereby taking at least four spaces up. If it wasn't for the fact that there would've been children involved i'd've let all the fucking tyres down.

possibly the most ignorant breed of driver out there.
PlateOfFood
PlateOfFood
141 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 12:02
Lord Lucan wrote:
I can see a problem with this in that the congestion zone will be extending West to encompass a large part of Chelsea, the very area that gave it's name to the Chelsea tractor. Surely this means that people who live within the zone will be able to use their 4x4s for nipping into town with impunity. The £25 charge will only affect those who come from outside the zone and go past the cameras into the charge zone.

Normally there is a 90% reduction on the charge for those living inside the zone. However, for the 'Band G' vehicles which will be charged £25 per day to drive in the zone, they are scrapping this 90% discount. So yes, if you live in the Chelsea part of the zone and you own a Chelsea Tractor, and you decide to drive the kids to school in it, that will cost you £25.
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 13:59
That Kathrine Tate character is so bang on. The looks i get from mums kids and dads when i`m working in millionaire ghettos like the vile Four Oaks inSutton Coldfield just for wearing working clothes.Be good to win the lottery and move in with the oldest most brightly painted hippy bus you could get
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 17:12
Four Oaks...

(birmingham based welfare adviser is catapulted screaming back in time to evenings endured with schoolfriends misanthropic parents)
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Nov 17, 2006, 17:32
haha! I knew there was something. Thankyou.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index