God demands emissions?

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

God demands emissions?
May 05, 2006, 20:25
And I'm not just talking about choirboys.

(boom-boom)

Anyhoops, just so any pagans out there don't know enough about themselves already, here's the REAL skinny on your empty lives and Mr WOo-WOo attitude to pollution:

"...But in a speech to US Catholic business leaders, Dr Pell said Western democracy was also suffering a crisis of confidence as evidenced by the decline in fertility rates. "Pagan emptiness" and Western fears of the uncontrollable forces of nature had contributed to "hysteric and extreme claims" about global warming.

"In the past, pagans sacrificed animals and even humans in vain attempts to placate capricious and cruel gods. Today they demand a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/pell-challenges-islam--o-ye-of-little-tolerant-faith/2006/05/04/1146335872951.html

Phew. That's ok then. We must appease the Christian God and he will restore our fertility.

Shame on you superstitious pagans, listen to the pealing of Dr Pell's bells. He knows you know.
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Re: God demands emissions?
May 05, 2006, 23:29
"invocations to violence"........
and what is "onwards christian soldiers" all about eh?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited May 05, 2006, 23:48
May 05, 2006, 23:47
I tell you something; Pell's a complete nutter, but that quote of his:
>
> "In the past, pagans sacrificed animals and even
> humans in vain attempts to placate capricious and
> cruel gods. Today they demand a reduction in
> carbon dioxide emissions."
>
That's one of the most perceptive things I've heard a nutter say in a long time. Not - of course - in the strict pejorative terms that he meant it. But it's such a compelling (and arguably accurate) image of the steps needed to deal with climate change.

People will need to sacrifice their cars in order to assuage a raging climate that they cannot control and only dimly understand.

Sadly, having read the rest of what Pell had to say, I'm fairly convinced that the man wasn't making a subtle and strangely beautiful analogy but was merely denouncing environmentalism using religious terminology.

Hmmm... I think there may be a blog post in this at some point.
67 Shelby Mustang
45 posts

May 06, 2006, 07:14
what a wanker. i can't believe what i just read. We've got to get all the hh'ers out of there before it's too late.

surely Paganism IS embracing and understanding the uncontrollable forces of nature, fucking hell man what a dick.

"they used to sacrifice humans and animals, and yet today they demand a reduction in Carbon emissions"

what a shit analogy

does the cunt realise that that was five thousand years ago, fucking two thousand or so years before the 'Christians' ran amock sacrificing people by the sword and taking continents for themselves?? and yeah' Carbon emissions aren't a good thing, i want my skid lids to breathe decent air...that's hardly fucking Paganism is it?

man it makes my blood boil, who the fuck does the self righteous prick think he is, glossing over the facts, whilst at the same time pumping his piousness down our necks like he works at a petrol station.

Fuck him I'll arm wrestle him for it.

yeah' i'm on a rant, but this is mass brainwashing to the tune of the Manchurian Candidate. watch your backs guys... incoming. X
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

May 06, 2006, 09:26
"this is mass brainwashing"

I thought that was the general idea of proscribed religions? Like a form of government - similarly unaccountable (but moreso) wot with the Big Cheese being largely invisible, all-powerful and notably psychotic (if we believe his minions).

Great rant. Huaazaah!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

May 06, 2006, 09:42
"People will need to sacrifice their cars in order to assuage a raging climate"

I don't think we will sacrifice our (current) cars until the fuel runs dry, or the means with which to produce them is denied to us. Neither of these represent a conscious change to 'assuage' a raging climate.

I'm not convinced yet that we are responsible for all the shifts in climate patterns, but I do remain sure that we are able to 'control' the toxicity of our environment.

So much for Pell's assertation that 'pagans' are scared of an uncontrollable climate

GJ, may I ask; what are your best sources that cite climate change/global warming - and who do you trust to pin it on human causes? I don't want to be chicken little or the proverbial ostrich, but well-informed. My knowledge currently extends to 'ooo, winters were much colder when I was a lad' or 'we never got cow parsley twice a year before' or 'the chestnuts are flat again'.

That kind of stuff. I wonder if the global climate is historically cyclic/changeable over millenia, or shorter?
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

May 06, 2006, 09:56
"onwards christian soldiers"

Absotively! My thinking is that if men had nothing to fight about, they would invent it. And sacrificing themselves and others to the Glory of their God is about the stupidest.

Ho-hum. Thankfully, preachers like Pell can shit out a theocratic mash with which to shove in our collective faces.

Also one of the oldest fascist/nationalist tricks is to scaremonger or reward people into breeding like Dutiful Rabbits, lest our Nation Suffers.

I bet he never mentions adoption ;-)
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

May 06, 2006, 13:32
>
> what a shit analogy
>
I thought it was a beautiful and appropriate analogy. Just goes to show how different people can see things differently.

The Cardinal clearly didn't mean it in the way I've chosen to interpret it. But all the same, I certainly don't think it's a shit analogy at all.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited May 06, 2006, 13:39
Climate Change - Oi Merrick, refs needed
May 06, 2006, 13:38
morfe, the evidence is fairly incontravertible these days.

Merrick's a better person to point towards good sources though. I tend to get my climate stuff from him. After all, who has time to research everything? I generally stick to the energy stuff... Merrick knows I research it well enough to make my conclusions quotable (that I'll have references should anyone challenge). In the same way, I know his conclusions on Climate Change are well-referenced.

This is the most recent news story I've read on the subject:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10380309

But as I say, Merrick will have better info.
67 Shelby Mustang
45 posts

May 06, 2006, 14:09
read it and re-read it mate and yup' i still think it's a shit analogy.

Fundamentalism strike me as being rather transparent in what they say.

i'm not saying this simply as a retort, i don't do that, have what's left of a nice day X
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index