Cartoon war

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Re: My two (possibly ignorant) cents...
Feb 07, 2006, 14:03
Thats a damn good question about images and representations of Christ/God, Arguably yep, they can't, and theres a commandment for it. However, its odd, as Christ threw out most of the Talmud and replaced the commandments with 'love one another' its hard to say. However, obviously, the orthodox church that put the bible together around 2-3AD is a huge fan of the 'graven image', preferably in gold.

My own thoughts on the cartoons are that they have no satirical value at all, and remind me of those old horrible propoganda cartoons of jewish people eating christian babies (tsarist era russian IIRC, then spread to europe). Sure there are a helluva lot of anti-semitic cartoons around in middle east papers today, however there are a valid anti Israel cartoons made that just get simply branded anti-semitic.

As it goes with the maturity argument, I don't think christianity is that mature, there are fundies happy to kill doctors that perform abortions still around. But yep, they aren't going to scream murder the heretic if someone knocks out a pen sketch of Christ shagging Mary Magdalene or in a homoerotic group session with his disciples. They will however get very upptiy and shouty. The comparison to the inquisition, and also to the crusades is a damn important one though. During those times it's important to note that most people were reacting the same way we are as in 'WTF!? Settle down you mad bastards FFS!' However as it was politic for a lot of Christian countries, and the orthodox church was keen for a bit of heretic bashing to increase it's power base and wealth a minority performed some dispicable and anti christian activity. Thankfully, the established muslim faith isn't going to support the loonies, however it is worrying that some nations may start to as it fits their own agenda.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index