Afghanistan

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: ok, egg on face...
Nov 08, 2001, 20:04
That's the guy. Hmm. I'll go and meet him, if you don't hear from me again send the freaky pleece after them and bust me out!

x
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Wella Balsam
Nov 08, 2001, 21:55
That's funny! So many of us have such similar dreams and aspirations... 5 years? Don't have a deadline, whatever, but I know it will come.

as 4winds said, my life will not be theirs one day! (or...for the fucking cynics... at least I'll be one step nearer to it!)

...and to end on a positive note before I bugger off for two splendid rural weeks up and down the salty coasts of southern megalithia, I will update you on my homegrown leeks - they've grown in 2 weeks inside a small flowerpot and I've devoured them in a frenzy of excitement. They were tasty too!

This seemingly inane growth of a leek shows me that positive *change* is actually POSSIBLE!!

Much love to you, Morfe
I'll contact you in a fortnight
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Wella Balsam
Nov 08, 2001, 22:30
Welcome back, and fare thee well!

Happy Happy, Joy, Joy!
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

the oil bit
Nov 09, 2001, 00:39
just skimmed that webpage, morfe... some pretty mad stuff. i have to admit, i have a soft spot for anyone who mentions the illuminati - even via a david icke quote.

the oil plans and information are all very out of date though (as is the map). it's a series of quotes taken out of context and given far more weight than they deserve (from what i can tell). i mean, the oil company in question (the ones making the 'report to congress') is Unocal (i recognise some of the quotes). they've completely disavowed all involvement in Afghanistan and have diverted their investments elsewhere (specifically they've shifted their Asian interests to the gas fields in Bangladesh and have just proposed a major investment in a pipeline linking Delhi to that supply - an infinitely more sensible option).

the way i see it, if afghanistan was a suitable transit route for a pipeline, then one would be built there. if it ever becomes a suitable route, then one *will* be built there. however, it currently is not suitable, and the bombing campaign there makes it even less suitable with each passing day.

and i truly believe that the US administration is fully aware of that. as i say, my theory is that they're bombing the place as a deliberate show of force because for the first time since the cold war there is evidence that america is under genuine threat... as i've said before - just imagine if those planes had had nukes on them! the thought makes me sick (and a wee bit fearful to be honest), and i imagine it's even freakier for those with the job of "keeping america safe". we're being told that the taliban and Al Qaida are almost synonymous. and we keep being told that pakistan was the principal sponsor of the taliban until quite recently. and pakistan proved it has nukes a little while back......

now, bombing afghanistan is going to make that whole tense situation far, far worse. but i still think that's why they're doing it.

i guess the main difference between me and the people who think it's all oil related, is they seem to believe that the US is there for clever, economic reasons; and i think they're there for dumb, political reasons.

(also, there's precious little evidence for the oil thing anyways - but i think i may have already mentioned that).

g.jim.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Dreams of escape
Nov 09, 2001, 00:58
i have a (very) small amount of personal experience with commune-living, but a lot of first-hand accounts from others. sadly i doubt the many wonderful upsides and positives could counter my own bloody-minded stubborn nature. that said, the idea of a "loosely-knit" commune (i.e. a bunch of autonomous homesteaders pooling resources and skills) is one that really appeals to me...

i've always liked that "US pioneer" model (i'm obviously talking in a limited sense about how the settlers actually functioned as a community, and not about the massacre of indigenous people and the fetishising of firearms), and i certainly intend to get a place with the facilities for small groups of friends to have extended stays, but i'm just not a "communist" at heart (even in the broadest sense). i'm a community-supporting individualist if i may be so bold as to concoct a phrase.

i've set myself a deadline of five years simply because i'm the sort of person who needs something to work towards; otherwise i have a tendency to let it slide. if it turns out to be 6 years, then so be it - but i need some timescale to focus on (and that seems like a realistic one for me to get my shit sorted out in).

i'll be home at my parents home in West Cork for the christmas... i've always been a city person through-and-through, but since i've been spending time out on that majestic landscape... well... no doubt you understand my conversion!

g.jim.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Dreams of escape
Nov 09, 2001, 09:28
I love the idea of several 'homesteads' working together. The idea of a cimmune, like you and I have already said, would not suit my stubborness and would scupper my plans of world domination.

I keep driving through litle villages in West Meath, every house has a banner up ... red and black!! It took me about 10 minutes to realise that these are simply the colours of the gaelic football or hurling team and not some declaration of anarchistic society .... shame.

My timescale is fifteen years purely because I am still recovering from Maggie's legacy and my self-employedness leaving me in tatters. oh hum ....

The main thing, and the thing that keeps me going, is that I WILL make it!! It will happen.

Having enough space to cater for long term visitors/guests is also a priority of mine.

Ride On!! Farm On!!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: the oil bit
Nov 09, 2001, 10:12
G Jim, thanks for your time and knowledge, has to be said I wish more people (ok everyone, including myself) spent as much time exposing (or at least assessing) not only the media but the conspiracy theories, it's getting more and more difficult to back up an argument these days, without of course copping out entirely and resorting to lobbing philosophical tactical rebukes and hiding behind hermeneutics.

"Once you have missed the first buttonhole you'll never manage to button up. " Goethe

* be * !
Proserpine
195 posts

Re: Wella Balsam
Nov 09, 2001, 10:59
That's impossibly quick mr wellaquam! Out of 4 pepper plants, I've still only got one mini green pepper growing after 4 months of loving care & attention - I blame the latent london stress & tension affecting their growth & wellbeing!
Maybe I should talk to them? On that tenuous link, good to see old His Royal Heinous Charlieboy getting attacked by a flower yesterday!!!!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

hermeneutics????
Nov 09, 2001, 11:19
hermeneutics??hermeneutics!!

Who had a thesaurus for Xmas then, eh?
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: hermeneutics????
Nov 09, 2001, 12:42
Courtesy of dictionary.com:

her·me·neu·tics
n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
The theory and methodology of interpretation, especially of scriptural text.

Been saving that one? :D
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index