Afghanistan

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: does the job maketh the (wo)man?
Nov 07, 2001, 23:34
As to meeting the total git that designs this stuff ... I'd twat him upon introduction!

When I moved to Ireland I went and did the bit where you trundle around the neighbours intro ducing yourself. Trying to build up the community spirit and all. When I met my next door neighbour he introduced himelf with ...

"Hi, the names John. I import and distribute disposable cups and cutlery products from the states."

So I said ... "oh, you're probably not the right person to ask directions to the bottle bank then."

He didn't seem either amused or even to understand.

Every week the fucker's wheelie bin is over flowing with black bags. I think ours goes out every other week.

There is no talking to the guy. I just about manage to keep my temper with him if I ever have to be near. I also take great personal pleasure in instructing his daughter in the need to recycle stuff whenever she comes around to play!! He-he!!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: no hidden agenda
Nov 08, 2001, 09:13
Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought the oil companies would move from oil, as you say, that would be a daft move while there is still money to be made there.

What I did mean was that they had to look for and generate new markets ( and expand small ones ) for their products. Countries such as Iran, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan have some considerable oil reserves but use very little themselves (and so produce relatively small levels of pollution).
This provides two things:
1) an export excess.
2) a market that can be expanded.

It is condition 2 that I am refering to. These places are ideal for the expansion of dirty industrial processes because they do not produce any where near the levels of pollution that a Kyoto allowance would give them. People are worried about countries being able to trade allowances but I see the problem as much more serious. Companies will just expand operations to these comapnies and take up the slack.

To this end these markets need to be served. The stabilisation of the middle east is paramount to the success of any plan that may be in place to this effect. An attempt at that stabilisation is underway now.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: does the job maketh the (wo)man?
Nov 08, 2001, 10:10
steady on. Interfering in someone elses parenting ;)

I know where you're coming from in terms of ethical work though. I too, being a software bod have worked on a few questionable projects. A stock system for the support of EFA and the Tornado aircraft for the RAF and various things for the London Stock Exchange and Reuters.

I have turned down a fair bit though, you have to draw a line. Offers from BNFL got the response from me you would expect. The only way to cope is with the reality. And the reality is you cannot live outside the system. Thing is, when working on the above projects I just couldn't keep my gob shut. The RAF terminated my contract once my Security Clearance came back (or rather didn't) the reason they gave was 'My lack of respect for authority'. Reuters and the LSE fired me because of my politics, and I had been upsetting a certain group of Brokers just a bit.

It's odd. You end up feeling really annoyed with yourself for not being able to keep your head down and do a good job. Yet at the same time strangely proud that the bastards couldn#'t get on with you. Hmmm.. If you take any sort of pride in your work then you lose it emotionally on the ethical front. There's no solution, just keep on putting the invoices in and count the days 'till you can be somewhere else.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Dreams of escape
Nov 08, 2001, 11:10
My personal one is to get a small holding in County Kerry and do a bit of GIY (Grow It Yourself). Ideally I should like to be able to turn around to the world at the age of 50 and say ...

FUCK YOU LOT !!! THE NEXT 50 ARE MINE !!!
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Dreams of escape
Nov 08, 2001, 12:24
that is _exactly_ my plan (except i've not decided between cork, kerry and galway yet). i'm going to be starting that little project in 5 or 6 years from now (i.e. when i have the cash!). we should probably stay in touch and compare notes should we both find ourselves in west ireland trying to work out why the hell our potatoes won't grow.

g.jim.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Dreams of escape
Nov 08, 2001, 12:36
That's a done deal.

Cork appeals, but I'm not sure about Galway .... I need to look around a bit more first. Have you ever thought about the comune side of things? It always sounds rosey, but I think I would either kill or be killed.

My only regret about this undertaking???

Felicity Kendal will not be sharing The Good Life with me !! :-(
Proserpine
195 posts

Re: Cynical Cunts
Nov 08, 2001, 16:59
I remember we were talking recently about 'ethical' investment & banks investing in arms. Just got this reply back today from the Co-operative Bank, after I e-mailed them asking why they qualify their policy of not investing in armaments with "to any country which has an oppressive regime." - which seems to me very hypocritical, and pretty much pointless. Again, as with "terrorist", it all comes down to definitions & who decides these definitions. Here's their response:-

“Thanks for your recent e-mail regarding the arms trade. Our current position is as follows:

"We will not invest in or provide financial services to any business involved in the manufacture sale, licensed production or brokerage of armaments to any country which has an oppressive regime."

This position is supported by 94% of customers

It is important to realise that the cornerstone of our Ethical Policy is that all the statements contained within it are there because customers have raised them. It is not for the bank to take an arbitrary stance on any issue but to ensure that our policy continues to reflect the views of the majority of our customers. Whilst detailed research clearly shows our customers support including the sale of arms to oppressive regimes, this support does not extend to cover the whole of the arms trade.

We are committed to regularly consult with customers to make sure our Policy continues to reflect their views. Later this year we will once again be canvassing the views of all bank customers in our Ethical Policy Review, when these and other new and existing statements will once again be open for debate. As a customer you can be confident that your views will be important in the setting of this future policy.
I hope this is helpful,etc..."
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Cynical Cunts
Nov 08, 2001, 17:41
www.skolnicksreports.com

I have this on good faith, check it out!
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

ok, egg on face...
Nov 08, 2001, 17:50
above link doesn't work, it was given by this guy, so I assume this site is similar, you can but check it out and shudder, would like to know how true (as always) these accounts are, Grufty Jim maybe you have time to check out the Oil in Asia biz on here? Or FourWinds?

Head hurts, I'm getting back to the Project, politics schmolitics ;-)
http://www.thisistherealtruth.net/knowledge/wtc/wtc.htm

PS, anyone know anything about the World Political Party? Billion Dollar Project has been invited to discuss same by Nigel Harris, UK Party leader, Trinity College. I kid you not. Suspicious, me?

Do we all have a five year plan??? I wanted to be in a yurt in devon in 5 years, with nothing but a woodburner and and wind generated laptop.

hmmm, busy, busy..

M x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: ok, egg on face...
Nov 08, 2001, 19:55
I came across this a while back while looking for John Pilger related stuff

http://www.eudaimonic.com/

They look kind of sane but I know nothothing of their activeness.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index