U-Know! Forum »
Barry Horne!

12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Re: Barry Horne!
Nov 08, 2001, 10:32
scary indeed ... when you really find out what goes on in the business of animal cruelty, either for business or pleasure ...

I did a few years service like FW, and gradually drifted out of it, and granted, there were a few nutters, but hey ....

a few happy memories come back to me:
* being trapped in a wood in Surrey, outnumbered 5-1, having the shit beaten out of us
* sitting in fox-holes, being hit with shovels, and ridden over
* steaming into the chicken slaughterhouse in Petticoat Lane, up against nasty blokes inside with machetes, grabbing what we could, and getting past nasty blokes with baseball bats -- coppers with truncheons were a welcome relief after that
*trying to wrestle shotguns off people who carried on shooting at birds, whilst we still had hold of the barrels
* people holding shotguns at my knees, threatening to blow off my kneecaps (a plan scuppered by my mate, who had gone christian, and who explained that he could do that, but he would still love him ... that did seem to cool the situation)
* Mike Hill, Tom Worby and Jill Phipps all dying on demos, and absolutely nothing happening as a consequence ...

I can go on and on and on and on about countless instances of unbelievable situations of cruelty and violence inflicted on animal and man by some of the most unbelievable horrible scumbags ever to ooze across the unfortunate face of the planet, and will given half the chance, but in my book, Barry Horne was the inevitable result of the frustration of campaigning against some of the most horrendous cruelty, cruelty that has become routine, invisible, big business.

I know I wouldn't have done what he did, but I sometimes seriously felt like it.

RIP Barry. What a shame, all of it

RG

U-Know! Forum Index