Barry Horne!

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Barry Horne!
Nov 07, 2001, 09:36
In the late eighties/early nineties animal rights was my life. Or at least I thought it was. At that time I was involved with certain individuals who had, shall I say, slightly more radical ideas on how to address the matters.

I began to question my true commitment to the cause. Was I less of a 'believer' than these people because I was unwilling to take that extra step? I did not know what to think back then, I did not have the attitude I now have towards property and such. Then I probably was heading towards greedhead-dom.

Looking back I think I was right to pull out when I did and move to more peaceful campaigns. This is not meant to belittle those that carried on and took a different route, you understand. I still respect the cause, but can I respect the the methods? I still do not really know.

All I hope now is that the goal of Barry's life (and now his death) will be recognised and achieved.

Ride On!!
stray
stray
2057 posts

Nov 07, 2001, 10:45
Sorry.

The man to me was a psychotic idiot who justified his obvious madness thru the Animal Rights movement. I can think of noone who has damaged the cause more than he has. It's a hypocrisy (and plain stupid) to say animal life is more important than human life. Quelle difference ?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Your points
Nov 07, 2001, 10:52
Actually you're right ... I got out because these people scred the fuck out of me and at this time the people I was involved with were doing nothing as serious as Barry Horne.

Was he hiding is psychosis behind a banner, I don't know, I'm not a psychiatrist, but maybe all terrorists/freedom fighters are simply doing that.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Nov 08, 2001, 10:32
scary indeed ... when you really find out what goes on in the business of animal cruelty, either for business or pleasure ...

I did a few years service like FW, and gradually drifted out of it, and granted, there were a few nutters, but hey ....

a few happy memories come back to me:
* being trapped in a wood in Surrey, outnumbered 5-1, having the shit beaten out of us
* sitting in fox-holes, being hit with shovels, and ridden over
* steaming into the chicken slaughterhouse in Petticoat Lane, up against nasty blokes inside with machetes, grabbing what we could, and getting past nasty blokes with baseball bats -- coppers with truncheons were a welcome relief after that
*trying to wrestle shotguns off people who carried on shooting at birds, whilst we still had hold of the barrels
* people holding shotguns at my knees, threatening to blow off my kneecaps (a plan scuppered by my mate, who had gone christian, and who explained that he could do that, but he would still love him ... that did seem to cool the situation)
* Mike Hill, Tom Worby and Jill Phipps all dying on demos, and absolutely nothing happening as a consequence ...

I can go on and on and on and on about countless instances of unbelievable situations of cruelty and violence inflicted on animal and man by some of the most unbelievable horrible scumbags ever to ooze across the unfortunate face of the planet, and will given half the chance, but in my book, Barry Horne was the inevitable result of the frustration of campaigning against some of the most horrendous cruelty, cruelty that has become routine, invisible, big business.

I know I wouldn't have done what he did, but I sometimes seriously felt like it.

RIP Barry. What a shame, all of it

RG
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Those were the days my friend .....
Nov 08, 2001, 10:55
Oh how I loved the experience of a full cavalry charge. 20 people on foot, 40 people on horses. You suddenly get the reason Prince Rupert was so fucking successful in battle!!

Twice in the last few weeks I have seen foxes scurrying across fields and my heart has still raced ... Run Reynard .. Run On!! I've felt myself want to shout. The thrill of seeing a fox escape the hunt has never left me. My soul will be forever imprinted with that feeling of success. Unfortunately, I will also forever remember the failures.

I will remember being beaten up by followers, I will remember being ran over by a landrover just as I shall remember my mate getting an arse full of lead shot at a mink farm.

I also remember the day we liberated over a hundered beagles from a kennels in Herefordshire (legally, my wife worked for the RSPCA). Happy days seeing most of them rehomed. Sad days putting over 30 to sleep because of the state they were in.

I was also present at Baggington airport in Coventry when Jill Phipps died ... wondeful woman.

RIP. xxx
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Those were the days my friend .....
Nov 08, 2001, 11:26
Now I can't help thinking about that wanker Christopher Barret-Fucking-Jolley !!!

For the full, sad, mind-fucking tale of Phoenix Aviation and Barret-Jolley

http://www.chaos.org.uk/~maureen/pa.html

How things ever got that far is inconceivable.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Re: Those were the days my friend .....
Nov 08, 2001, 14:17
gah!

I nursed a hatred for Alan Summersgill for *years*
http://www.nwhsa.cwc.net/a_tribute_to_mike_hill.htm
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Barry Horne - no psycho, in my book
Nov 09, 2001, 16:22
I agree, Mr. Gibbon. He may have been an exytremist but he was no psycho. However much you dislike his methods - and I sure as hell do - his overheated righteousness was a rational, if hyper-sensitive response to an amoral world and seems to me to have been motivated by genuine - and, as you say, completely justified - disgust at the hypocritical attitude of the human race towards animals.

On the other hand, those scumbags with baseball bats and shovels whom you describe strike me as being genuine psychos, motivated by nothing other than a sadistic desire to bash up some hippies. Psychosis is a relative concept, and there is a srtong argument for the view that there is a latent psychotic side lurking within everyone, which could manifest itself in any human being given the wrong stimuli and circumstances.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Nov 09, 2001, 16:48
now, was that psychopath or psychotic?

not having a go, Jack Straw came out with it about OBL last week ... psychopaths exhibit a lack of feeling towards others, whereas psychotics can be the exact opposite, highly sensitive towards others ...

RG (BSc Hons Psychology)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Nov 12, 2001, 17:10
I guess I meant psychopath, although as an ex-psychology student your defnitions are probably more accurate than mine. Personally, whenever I hear the word psycho used as a noun rather than an adjective, I always associate it with psychopathy rather than psychosis, although it's such a loaded, perjorative term that I suppose it gets used inappropriately more often than not (as highlighted by that Channel 4 series, "Psychos"). Whatever you say about Barry Horne, though, I don't think he could be accused of lacking in feeling towards others - he seemed to have been motivated by genuine moral outrage rather than mere sadistic gratification, and in my experience (contrary to the "How To Win An Argument With A Meat Eater" address), those who are unusually sensitive towards the plight of suffering animals are generally more sensitive towards human suffering as well.

So please, fellow HHers, let's not dredge up the old "Hitler was a vegetarian" argument again, or else this thread will go on for months and reach treble figures!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index